Wellgo B144 Flat Pedals

rumbataz
rumbataz Posts: 796
edited June 2016 in Road buying advice
Has anyone used Wellgo B144 Flat Pedals with their road bikes? I've just ordered a pair which should arrive this week. I already have Wellgo MG1 flat pedals on my hybrid bike and really love them. They are huge and I use them with my gym trainers and my feet feel like they're clipped in. I actually have to lift my feet off to reposition them!

For my road bike I wanted something a tad lighter and smaller so after a bit of research I bought the Wellgo B144 Flat Pedals. They seem to have okay reviews and even BR reviewed them and said they were okay.

I was really looking to see if anyone has tried these on their road bikes for leisurely riding (purely on roads / cycle paths) and what their views were, and whether there's anything worth knowing about beforehand.

Comments

• rumbataz
    rumbataz Posts: 796
    To review these pedals myself, I had my first ride using them yesterday.

As a reference point I already have the slightly larger Wellgo MG-1 flat pedals fitted to my hybrid bike. The B144 pedals are slightly smaller and lighter. Compared to the pedals I removed, Shimano Ultegra 6800 SPD-SL carbons, they are huge!

They offer a large rectangular platform with pins to grip the soles of your shoes. Fitting them was very easy - just a 15mm hex wrench was needed (I dobbed a bit of anti-seize onto the threads).

The pedals come in various colours so I chose black to match the rest of my road bike.

On a road bike they do look a bit big and you do have to watch how much you lean over when going around bends as they are probably more likely to scrape the ground simply due to their size.

I wore a pair of my gym trainers (Asics Gel-Nimbus 17 trainers) that I also sometimes wear on my evening walks as they're very comfortable shoes. No stiff soles or anything like that so, in theory, totally unsuitable for cycling.

The pedals feel very comfortable due to the large platform available for your foot. Grip was very good indeed. It wasn't quite up to Wellgo MG-1 standards (the other flat pedals that I have fitted to my hybrid). But, strangely, this actually felt better as my feet didn't feel locked in to the pedal. I notice when I'm riding my hybrid bike, the Wellgo MG-1 pedals offer a grip that is so strong that it's very difficult to adjust your foot. Those pedals feel more like your foot is clipped in and you have to lift your foot completely off the pedal to reposition it.

With the Wellgo B144 flat pedals, I could adjust my foot more easily. This, in turn, allowed for a much more relaxed and enjoyable ride.

I was only out for an hour and there was no aching in my feet whatsoever after the ride.

So, for me, it's a great choice of flat pedals. The looks won't be to everyone's taste, particularly if you fit them to a road bike. But for leisure rides and sheer comfort, these are great pedals.

Here's the Bike Radar review of them with pictures and specs:

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/categ ... -14-48714/