Wheel upgrade for Spesh Roubaix SL4 Disc

lakesluddite
lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
edited June 2016 in Road buying advice
So it turns out, out after just this moment reading another thread on here, that the lovely new Pro-Lite A21 Disc wheels are actually not compatible with my frame - a Specialized SL4 Roubaix Disc (2015).

I had fit them to the bike a few months ago, and was wowed by the weight difference, but had been constantly troubled by poor shifting down to the smaller (higher) end of the cassette. According to what I have read, the stock wheels for the Roubaix have a very specific hub, meaning there are very few standard disc wheelsets that are compatible. Wish I'd known/researched that before shelling out on the Pro-lites! :oops:

So, the question is - do any of you good denizens of this here forum know what good options I have to upgrade from the (hefty) stock Axis 2.0 stock wheels (QR)? Has anyone else upgraded this model with good results? Would I be able to go down the hand-built route given the limited compatibility?

If all else fails, the bike will be going on fleabay, and I'll keep the wheels! :)

Comments

• slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Specialized-Axi ... wodQjEDLw#

I had axis 4 on my roubaix for just under four years and they proved to be solid and reliable.

If your budget stretches to a pair of rovals I can highly recommend the CL40's. Light and tough.

Bottom line is your choice is limited due to the way Specialized have engineered their frames and optimized the handling at each frame size
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • 79543dean
    79543dean Posts: 88
    Wheelsmith do handbuilt disc wheels for Specialized as a friend has recently had some. I'd personally always go handbuilt as an upgrade. Give Derek a ring and he'll point you in the right direction regarding rims and hubs.

I have two sets of disc wheelsets from Wheelsmith and they're epic!
  • lakesluddite
    Actually, seems I panicked too soon. The (shorter) Specialized SCS hubs are new for the 2016 models, rather than my older 2015 model, so therefore the Pro-lites SHOULD, in theory, be okay... :?

I think I'll just measure the stock Axis hubs against the pro-lites, just to see if there is an actual difference.
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    Actually, seems I panicked too soon. The (shorter) Specialized SCS hubs are new for the 2016 models, rather than my older 2015 model, so therefore the Pro-lites SHOULD, in theory, be okay... :?

I think I'll just measure the stock Axis hubs against the pro-lites, just to see if there is an actual difference.

If pro-lites don't fit and you decide to move them on then give me a shout as I'm after a set of lightish disc wheels
  • Whyscotty
    Whyscotty Posts: 25

My 2015 Roubaix Elite disc had SCS hubs - so double check to be sure.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Check with your LBS but specialized are supposed to do a non scs gear hanger which solves the problem.
  • lakesluddite
    Whyscotty wrote:

My 2015 Roubaix Elite disc had SCS hubs - so double check to be sure.

Yep, double, double checked and the 2015 IS the SCS hubs.
  • lakesluddite
    Kajjal wrote:
    Check with your LBS but specialized are supposed to do a non scs gear hanger which solves the problem.

Cheers Kajjal, I'll look into this. Anyone got any links to this alternative RD hanger?

Thanks.
  • lakesluddite
    Slowmart wrote:
    http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Specialized-Axis-4-0-Disc-SCS-TA-Clincher-Wheelset_89018.htm?sku=306803&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_shopping&gclid=CJGO7rqKpc0CFY9uGwodQjEDLw#

I had axis 4 on my roubaix for just under four years and they proved to be solid and reliable.

If your budget stretches to a pair of rovals I can highly recommend the CL40's. Light and tough.

Bottom line is your choice is limited due to the way Specialized have engineered their frames and optimized the handling at each frame size

The advertised weight of the 4.0 are 1625g - would you say this is about right? That is quite a difference from the 2.0, which I have read are around 2100g (and they feel like it)!
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    I haven't a clue regards the weight as I moved my Roubaix on at the start of the year but I would buy another pair without question as they were faultless and I'm not known for a light touch with my kit!

However i found this old thread which suggest the weight of the wheels is closer to 1800g and that's without skewers.

viewtopic.php?t=12969951
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu