Suspension stiffness on new bike

ubiquitousuk
ubiquitousuk Posts: 12
edited July 2016 in MTB beginners
My girlfriend and I recently (ca 3 weeks ago) bought two B'Twin Rockrider 540s as our first toe in the MTB water. They come with 100mm Suntour XCR LO forks. But the forks on our two bikes feel very different: I can easily compress her forks a good way with just the strength in my upper body and they feel very smooth. Mine, on the other hand, feel stiff and even maximum exertion with my full weight only compresses the forks about 20mm (the lockout is disabled and I have turned the preload adjuster in the – direction for several full rotations, although that doesn't seem to do much).

When I go out for a ride, even on a fairly level dirt track, I find that my hands start hurting quite quickly, and I suspect that this might be because the front suspension is not doing its job.

So my two questions are (1) how should forks feel when they are set-up and working properly, and (2) is there anything I can/should do to make sure they are set-up/working properly?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    There might be a little seal stiction with new forks, but not the way you describe. I would take it back and have it looked at.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Paul0975
    Paul0975 Posts: 14
    Sounds like yours is locked out. Have a look at the top of the right fork leg to see if there is a dial with markings something like "open and lockout"
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Plus the indexing can be out, move it to unlock, pull the knob off, refit in the lock position and see if it will unlock more.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.