Buying advice new road bike 1-3000£

kjelsrud
kjelsrud Posts: 7
edited June 2016 in Road buying advice
Hello.
Need some advice regarding a new road bike. My use is primarily medium-long endurance rides and local casual group rides. I will not be doing any serious racing, but there are a few sportives i participate in.

Because of that, I'm mostly looking into the endurance ranges, but I have no problem with a more race oriented bike either.

Budget: No more than 3000£.
Spec: Atleast Ultegra mechanical. (Prefer shimano)

Been looking into the Bianchi Infinito CV: http://www.bianchi.com/global/bikes/bikes_detail.aspx?rangeIDMaster=124356&categoryIDMaster=124362&bikeIDMaster=124608
Looks like it fits my criteria. Tested my mate's Intenso 2015 and really liked it.

Alternative: Bianchi Oltre XR2. Streching the budget, but a possibility. Probably not needed for my use.
Alternative: Giany Defy Advanced Pro.
Alternative: Specialized Tarmac/Roubaix

Anyone with experience on the Infinito, or any other of the alternatives?
Open for other sugestions aswell.

Thanks.

Comments

• Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Would folks agree that the difference between a racing bike and an endurance bike could be to get a bigger frame, ie a more relaxed riding position? Who'd want to be stuck on a 56cm frame all day it a 58cm of the same bike is more comfortable?
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    For an endurance bike, look for a frame geometry with a longer head tube. Larger frames comes with longer head tubes, but they also come with longer top tubes so upping the size isn't the solution.

No.1 priority is comfort, suggest you physically test ride the bikes before deciding, and compare the geometries so you know what you're getting. A *good* bike shop will make sure you buy a bike of the right size and fit, walk away if they try and force you down any other route.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • kjelsrud
    kjelsrud Posts: 7
    I'm pretty set on a 56 (59 Bianchi) size.
    I will ofcourse test ride the bike before buying, but I am generally comfortable on any bike after some adjustments.

My problem is that there are so many choices that will suit me. I bet all the mentions bikes would be a good buy for me.
    However, it would be nice with some tips/experiences on thoose or other bikes.

I also like to do all my maintainance work myself. Any non standard things on the bikes mentioned I should be on the lookout for. Particularly interested in Intenso CV experiences as thats the bike I'm most likely would go for.