tick tick tick

geoffnelder
geoffnelder Posts: 165
edited June 2016 in Workshop
My Dawes Galaxy has developed a tick noise down in the bottom bracket area that only manifests itself when pedalling. Not when freewheeling or pedalling backwards. I've checked the chain and gear mechanisms for any wire or part that might be causing it.
Is this likely to be a take it to the bike shop job?

Comments

• homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,236
    Try removing both pedals, greasing the threads and refitting.

Then do the same with the BB if it continues.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Also, take a look at the cleats on the shoes, if you use cleats. It could be a loose cleat bolt.
  • geoffnelder
    Thanks guys. I checked my cleated shoes but all appears fine and the noise doesn't occur on my other Dawes when using the same shoes.
    I'll do the remove pedals regreasing and replacing trick. Thanks. That sounds like the IT engineer: Turn it off and on again ;)
  • homers_double
    It does and it doesn't. If the threads are dry then you get creaks and seeing as it's one of the first areas to absorb the power its highly likely thats going to be your problem.

I always copper slip my pedal threads and BB threads.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • geoffnelder
    Homer's Double. I owe you a pint! Hah. I removed both pedals - easier than last time cos I greased the thread - regreased, replaced. Then pumped finishline grease into the pedal itself. There's a removable screw on the axle end cos they're Speedplay pedals. Took it for a spin and yeay. No noise. Thanks peeps!
  • homers_double
    No problems pal.
    Advocate of disc brakes.