Do ghetto tubeless inflators actually ever go bang?

larkim
larkim Posts: 2,474
edited June 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Started making one up last night and was very very fearful of a nasty bang, so didn't really get to putting serious pressure into the bottle.

I know all the guides warn of the risks of a big bang, but has anyone experienced it? What is the major hazard - noise or shrapnel?
2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    If you're worried, you can do a safer trial inflation. Fill the bottle to about 90% with water and then pressurise it. This way if it does go bang, the water will damp down the explosive force and noise. Thats how I used to test pressure vessels at hundreds of bar of pressure.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399
    I don't know but I don't expect there'd be much shrapnel. I ve ballsed up putting tubes in road tyres before and they ve popped at 100+ psi and it's a hell of a bang but nothing hugely serious happens
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • larkim
    Water sounds a very sensible option, I suppose the "worst" that could happen is one of the presta valves come shearing out of the top with a body part in front of it. Need to get my track pump fixed first anyway (anyone know how to re-assemble a blackburn head, I can't work out whether my kids have pulled it apart and lost something, or it's just knackered somehow - got a replacement head on the way, but I don't like not knowing what's wrong with it!)
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    The water doesn't so much damp down the explosion, its simply that the amount of energy is dependent on the volume of air and the pressure. Smaller volume of air (as water doesn't compress) = less energy.

I wouldn't expect these things to go "bang", rather they might leak air first or at least give some kind of warning.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    ddraver wrote:
    I don't know but I don't expect there'd be much shrapnel. I ve ballsed up putting tubes in road tyres before and they ve popped at 100+ psi and it's a hell of a bang but nothing hugely serious happens

Shrapnel not from the tyre, but the inflator...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I checked my coke bottle to 80psi and it was fine, I find I only need to use about 40psi to inflate a tyre.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I've wrapped mine in black tape and put it to 120 for a really stubborn tyre. Normally 80 has been enough for me. I've had the hose pop off a couple of times. Really have me a fright. Zero damage.
  • larkim
    Used successfully in anger yesterday to get a couple of tyres up. No bangs. The tube I've got which needs clamping is not ideal (too short, came off an old tube of expanding foam), but it works.

As this was me losing my tubeless virginity, I'm quite pleased I got two tyres up with relatively little fuss and my own hand build inflator on low quality Decathlon rims.
  • dirkpitt74
    dirkpitt74 Posts: 518
    Just found This Article on Pop bottle pressures. Interesting that in 'normal' use a full bottle of pop is around 50psi and can go up to 100psi if left in a hot car.
    According to the article bottles seem to be able to withstand around 150psi.