Tour Divide

AllAboutGuitar
AllAboutGuitar Posts: 47
edited July 2016 in XC and Enduro
Thought this might be the right forum for this, as many of you probably know on the 10th of June, the longest bike race in the world started called the tour divide. From Banff, Alberta to Antelope Wells, New Mexico.

I wanted to ask a few things, the first being has anyone on BikeRadar ever taken part in this race? What was it like?

And in the near future (most likely 5 years) I want to take part in it. What's the best way to train for a distance such as this (2745 miles/4418 km)? Because I've only just started proper mountain biking in the last couple of months and unfortunately live in Lincolnshire, England... where there are hardly any hills.

Last year I went on a leisure holiday to Banff, AB (it is absolutely beautiful there) and seeing how high some of the rockies mountains are, i'm gonna need to get started with training as soon as possible to get used to 100 miles a day and the ascents and descents.

Thanks if anyone can give me some info :D

Comments

• dirkpitt74
    dirkpitt74 Posts: 518
    I see Mike Hall is first home in 13 days 22 hours and 51 minutes.

Guy Martin (AKA Terry Smith) is still around 250 miles behind.
  • DirkPitt74 wrote:
    I see Mike Hall is first home in 13 days 22 hours and 51 minutes.

Guy Martin (AKA Terry Smith) is still around 250 miles behind.

Just seen that, Yorkshireman aswell! I'm Lincolnshire but close enough haha :D Wondered how Guy Martin was doing haven't seen anything over the past two weeks.

Otherwise, that is insane. I know these guys train a lot but 2700 miles in just under 14 days (new record). All I can say is WOW, well done Mike Hall!
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Guy Martin set off several days before and is doing it as an ITT, NOT the race. Second place at the moment is Chris Pleska on a singlespeed!

This is a complete and utter mind f**k. He averaged the best part of 20 hours/day on the bike over the 2713 miles (incl over 190000ft of climbing) and nearly 11mph moving speed - on gravel roads on a fully loaded bike.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Guy Martin set off several days before and is doing it as an ITT, NOT the race. Second place at the moment is Chris Pleska on a singlespeed!

This is a complete and utter mind f**k. He averaged the best part of 20 hours/day on the bike over the 2713 miles (incl over 190000ft of climbing) and nearly 11mph moving speed - on gravel roads on a fully loaded bike.

I guess a massive advantage could be I think MH has done it since 2013? Not too sure on that, and rode around the world in 2012. But still when you just think about it, averaging 11 mph, staying up extremely late/waking up quite early on a 50+ pound bike, he's gonna be having a lot of rest days now, maybe a few beers :D
  • Second place at the moment is Chris Pleska on a singlespeed!

Also is that a 1x1 setup or single as in on the chainring so 1x10 or similar?
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    A singlespeed. Apparently a 32x16 on a 29er :shock:

Third place is on a SSer as well.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Don't know if any of you have facebook or if you do have liked the Tour Divide page.

Photo of Mike Hall at Antelope Wells :D

https://www.facebook.com/tourdivide/pho ... =3&theater

Once again well done to him, think that record could stay there for a while.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    For more info on guy's bike check out the shop who built it's Facebook, Louth cycle centre

They will be posting more details on the build from the concept to the final push to get the bike ready for guy's departure

They also have the bike on display in store along with guy's rourke speed record bike
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg