Which handlebar width for my shoulders

hububalli
hububalli Posts: 26
edited June 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi,
Just had my "bony protrusions" on my shoulders measured which were surprisingly narrow at 35.5cm. We measured it three times, relaxed position, hands by my sides.

Would people recommend I get a 36 or 38 c-c bar? I don't race or go that fast to be honest, I am more of a long distance tourer, so go for comfort more than aero. I noticed some sites say add 2cm some say use the measurement as it is.

Cheers,

Comments

• trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    How tall are you, and what size is your bike ?
  • hububalli
    5'10 (177cm) its a 58.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    hububalli wrote:
    5'10 (177cm) its a 58.

Too big
    left the forum March 2023
  • hububalli
    hububalli wrote:
    5'10 (177cm) its a 58.

Too big

Been fitted to this size as my ideal size would be a custom frame apparently. I have really long arms and legs with a short torso. 56 frames are too short in the legs so the seat post is really high making the bars really low. Or I have a 58 that fits my legs perfectly but I have to use very short stems as the top tube is too long. 58s work fine for me with this method.

I am also not into the idea of fitting on the smallest possible frame you can fit on. I like my comfort.

wminus.jpg
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    Crikey, I'm 6' 2" and ride a 58 with a 120cm stem, just shows how different people can be. As a contrast, my wife is 5'6" and rides with a 33cm set of 3T Scattos on the track.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • hububalli
    yeah it does really show there are no guaranteed magic rules to bike sizing. I went through so much pain before getting fitted and learning that I was all arms and legs. I have a positive ape index apparently which made me laugh.

I have a 60mm stem on with short reach bars and that works really well. The guy said if I had a custom frame I could have a longer stem which would improve steering at speed, but I only notice it if I am really going for it. On a 56 even with the stem flipped the saddle to handle bar drop was massive.
  • trailflow
    edited June 2016
    I am also not into the idea of fitting on the smallest possible frame you can fit on. I like my comfort.

But its clearly not workng. Bar width isn't going to cause that kind of pain. The shoulder pain you describe is a classic sign that your frame is too big.

a 60mm stem on a 58cm is just plain wrong. Do you tend to do wheelies alot whilst climbing ? :) When you descend is the front end twitchy ?

Unless your a freak of nature i doubt you're arms and legs differ that much from the rest of us.

You need to size down a frame size or two.
    Fit a seatpost with a longer setback
    Fit a longer stem - should be 100-130mm ideally
    Fit more spacers under the stem

What frame is it ? Geometrys can differ alot between manufacturers

Your body weight is distributed too far towards the rear wheel and your body (and shoulders) are supporting most of your weight whilst your arms are reaching further than they should need to. If you distributed that weight more equally and let your arms support you more. Your shoulder muscles will not have to work so hard.
  • hububalli
    edited June 2016
    forget it, All I had was a simple question about what bar width would be best suited to someone with 35.5cm shoulders. Do I get the 36 or add the extra 2cm and get the 38.

You may not agree with what I ride but it is the results of years of trial and error, with various seat posts, set backs, stem heights, stem lengths, spacers and risers, which lead to a pro fitting, which gave me years of pain free riding over several bikes, all 58's. My latest bike is setup exactly the same as my old ones, down to the mm, apart from the handlebar width as I didn't record what that was on my old bike, but it does feel a bit wider.

The guy told me that for my height my arms and legs are very long, which is why I was having problems. He told me to get a 58, he set it up, now I ride pain free. My previous bikes have been nice to ride and are not twitchy or unbalanced at all.

So many people have told me that I should be on a 54,56 but they just don't fit! sorry!

Just looked up my inseam from my fit and it says 89cm, so yeah, they are long. A bike chart tells you an inseam that length is easily a 58.

I did actually get a 56 to fit once with a stem height extension but it looked ridiculous with my arse and bars so high up in the air.

I hope to one day to get the money together to buy the frame to fitter specified for me but its a bit expensive for the time being!

I edited my original post, to avoid the confusion.
  • trailflow
    If you dont like the advice there's no need to get tetchy. You can simply ignore us :)

Narrower bars are not usually the go to choice for more comfort. Infact its the opposite. You''ll only be restricting your upperbody more.
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    I prefer narrower and think it's worth getting used to them - but it's a matter of personal preference; I'd try 38 if I were you.
  • hububalli
    trailflow wrote:
    If you dont like the advice there's no need to get tetchy. You can simply ignore us :)

Narrower bars are not usually the go to choice for more comfort. Infact its the opposite. You''ll only be restricting your upperbody more.

haha yeah I know, I appreciate people taking the time to respond. Its quite a repeating pattern in real life, I ask one thing and people go on about how I should be on a 54/56 etc etc I understand why they make that assumption, and they would be right if i wasn't such a weird shape :lol:
    I prefer narrower and think it's worth getting used to them - but it's a matter of personal preference; I'd try 38 if I were you.

I was thinking the 38 too. I cut a bit of wood at 38 and I think that felt about the same as my old bar. Not very scientific i know! :lol: My mate said bringing your arms in would release the pressure on my rhomboids which appears to be why I am feeling uncomfortable with my new bikes wider bars at 42 c-c
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Shoulder width is only a starting point. The correct size is the one that fits.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Agreed - shoulder width is a poor guide to bar width - just ask a track rider..
  • animal72
    animal72 Posts: 251
    Why don't you just buy a set of £11.50 Bars from Wiggle (or borrow a set) and try them for a couple of rides?
    If the width fits, then get some nicer ones to suit your needs.

FWIW I use 40cm with 39cm "bony protrusions"
    Condor Super Acciaio, Record, Deda, Pacentis.
    Curtis 853 Handbuilt MTB, XTR, DT Swiss and lots of Hope.
    Genesis Datum Gravel Bike, Pacentis (again).
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc, 105 & H-Plus-Son.

Mostly Steel.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Answer - whatever feels comfortable. I'm 5' 8" and ride a "54" bike and prefer a wider bar, typically found on large sized bikes. I found it feels more stable, so I prefer it. There is no right or wrong answer here.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Imposter wrote:
    Just wondering if shoulder width should not be used as a guide, what should be used as a guide?
    This article advises if bars are too wide it causes shoulder blades to move inwards causing neck pain and tension in shoulders:
    https://roadcyclinguk.com/gear/buyers-g ... ade.html/2
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Imposter wrote:
    Just wondering if shoulder width should not be used as a guide, what should be used as a guide?

I said it was a 'poor guide'. But anyway, I would have thought it was reasonably simple. If your current bars feel too wide, fit narrower bars - if your current bars feel too narrow, fit wider bars.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Imposter wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

I said it was a 'poor guide'. But anyway, I would have thought it was reasonably simple. If your current bars feel too wide, fit narrower bars - if your current bars feel too narrow, fit wider bars.
    Fair enough. On my steel bike, the bars feel too wide at 46cm outer edge to outer edge. The bars on my carbon bike feel better at 44cm. Accordingly I am going to change the bars on the steel bike to 44cm ones. However maybe even narrower would feel even better, but my instinct is to play safe and go for the 44 ones (bearing in mind these will probably be sized as 42s as most are measured from middle to middle).

Looking at the 105 shifters on the bike, it looks just about impossible to get the allen key in to get to the screw to get them off the bars :(