Chain and Cassette on 2nd wheelset

azzurri78
azzurri78 Posts: 104
edited June 2016 in Road buying advice
Having just bought a bike I thought I would get a second wheelset so I can easily switch between road and off-road duties. The cassette already on there is 11-32 (with a compact 50/34 chainset).

Does the cassette on the 2nd wheelset need to match or can I use something like 11-28 with no issues? It will be the road wheelset so I dont think I need to go up to 32 and I would probably prefer the closer ratios.

Is there any other issues with using 2 differenet cassettes on the same chain. The road cassette would probably see q bit more use (70-30)

Comments

• hububalli
    hububalli Posts: 26
    I would have thought that as long as both cassettes have the same number of speeds and are compatible with your shifters/mech it should be fine.
  • animal72
    animal72 Posts: 251
    Depending on your chain length, you may not have use of every gear with the 32, but you prob shouldn't be crossing the chain that far (big/big) anyway.
    Condor Super Acciaio, Record, Deda, Pacentis.
    Curtis 853 Handbuilt MTB, XTR, DT Swiss and lots of Hope.
    Genesis Datum Gravel Bike, Pacentis (again).
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc, 105 & H-Plus-Son.

Mostly Steel.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    The ratios themselves will be fine, as long as the chain is sized for the 32. You may have more issues with the wear being somewhat uneven between the two wheelsets but change the chain regularly and you won't see any problem.
  • azzurri78
    azzurri78 Posts: 104
    Thanks for your help guys. The chain should be sized for the 32 cassette as that was what it was sold with. So I should have use of every gear too.

Will go with the 28 on the 2nd wheelset. If I have any issues I will no doubt post on the forum!