Col de la Madeleine. France. Alternative route D76

remedy_7
remedy_7 Posts: 179
If anyone is heading to the Alps to do some cols this summer -
Just want to recommend an alternative route up the Col de la Madeleine from La Chambre. Southern side.
I just went up the D76 which starts at the western edge of town.
The normal way up D213, is stunning and tough. But the D76 is more stunning and tougher. I think there is 3km of 11%. It is empty with no cars. I could hear the groups of motorbikes screaming up the the main route across the valley.
I think it is officially rated as easier because there are a couple of flat km before it joins the D213. Which kills the gradient average. Don't be fooled. It's tough. Now on my favourites list.

Comments

• cc78
    cc78 Posts: 599
    http://www.cycling-challenge.com/col-de ... rd-way-up/

it's been on my to-do list for a while, looks great
  • remedy_7
    That's the one.
  • fatdaz
    fatdaz Posts: 348
    I did it a couple of weeks ago doing the Lacers de Montvernier / Col de Chaussey route. It's worth it just for the Lacets de Montvernier climb let alone the rest
  • remedy_7
    I think that is the D77 towards the east. That is also on my list.
  • remedy_7
    If you ignore the routes made famous by the Tour du France, then you will find hundreds of 'better' routes. And usually traffic free.
    Alpe d'Huez v Col de Sarenne for example. (But unfortunately the race has now found it)
  • Remedy 7 wrote:
    The normal way up D213, is stunning and tough. But the D76 is more stunning and tougher. I think there is 3km of 11%. It is empty with no cars. I could hear the groups of motorbikes screaming up the the main route across the valley.

I think it is officially rated as easier because there are a couple of flat km before it joins the D213. Which kills the gradient average. Don't be fooled. It's tough. Now on my favourites list.

I did the standard route up from La Chambre last week. I'd agree with both stunning and tough, though not as tough as the subsequent afternoon ascent of the Glandon on tired legs!

I seriously dislike climbs with flat-spots, as they easily convert an anticipated steady 7% into a series of short climbs at over 10%. If anyone does like that kind of cruelty then the Grande Columbiere is your thing, plus there are some lacets.
  • Remedy 7 wrote:
    If you ignore the routes made famous by the Tour du France, then you will find hundreds of 'better' routes. And usually traffic free.
    Alpe d'Huez v Col de Sarenne for example. (But unfortunately the race has now found it)

The Col des Tentes and the Cirque de Troumousse from Luz St Sauveur are fine examples of such treasures.