Shimano 10 speed large splines

carl1983
carl1983 Posts: 162
edited June 2016 in Workshop
Hi, just got some Ritchey ds wcs wheels for my rain bike and immediately noticed the splines on the freehub are taller, my tiagra 10 speed cassette wont fit over. I then read online that there was a shimano 10 speed only freehub! My question is what cassette will fit these freehubs? I think i read somewhere 105,Ultegra and dura ace 10 speed but want to make sure before i buy.

Thanks Carl.

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    carl1983 wrote:
    Hi, just got some Ritchey ds wcs wheels for my rain bike and immediately noticed the splines on the freehub are taller, my tiagra 10 speed cassette wont fit over. I then read online that there was a shimano 10 speed only freehub! My question is what cassette will fit these freehubs? I think i read somewhere 105,Ultegra and dura ace 10 speed but want to make sure before i buy.

Thanks Carl.

Yes the difference is described in this link if you scroll down near to the bottom. There is an image with the 9/10 freehub and the 10-speed only alongside it. The 10-speed only has much deeper splines

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Cassette ... _3257.html

I seem to remember that it was Ultegra 10 speed cassettes that were compatible but maybe any 10-speed will work. It is probably that 9-speed cassettes cannot fit as they would on the shallower 9/10 freehubs.

Perhaps some others can comment.