Fix or replace Avid Elixir 7?

Semantik
Semantik Posts: 537
edited July 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Bike came fitted with these from new and has probably done less than 1000 miles. Bike been stood for several months but is always thoroughly cleaned and well maintained.
Came to use bike the other day and rear caliper is seized on to the disc. Tried to get pistons moving after removing pads but one came out too far-the other was hardly moving at all- and the moving piston popped out through impatience on my part so brakes now need bleeding.
I don't own a bleed kit and have read that Avids are known to seize on and generally are not reliable. Are they better off in the bin and replaced with another brand eg Shimano SLX or should I buy the bleed kit and persevere with them?
Cheers

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    This is a common issue on Avids and usually fixed by just 'burping' out excess fluid, unfortunately the bull in a shop of crockery approach has left you needing to do a bit more! With no resistance it's quite normal for one piston to move more than the other - on any brake.

They are competent but not brilliant brakes, for a few quid for bleed kit to fix it sounds a sensible option.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Semantik
    The Rookie wrote:
    This is a common issue on Avids and usually fixed by just 'burping' out excess fluid, unfortunately the bull in a shop of crockery approach has left you needing to do a bit more! With no resistance it's quite normal for one piston to move more than the other - on any brake.

They are competent but not brilliant brakes, for a few quid for bleed kit to fix it sounds a sensible option.

Ok.

This one ? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Epic-Bleed-Ki ... SwgQ9VkEqk

Or this one? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Professional- ... SwP~tW1tn0
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The Epic one. Best and easiest kits to use.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Semantik wrote:
    ...have read that Avids are known to seize on and generally are not reliable.
    yessir they're all like that
    Semantik wrote:
    Are they better off in the bin and replaced with another brand eg Shimano SLX or should I buy the bleed kit and persevere with them?
    You *will* be able to get them working but not for long. Shimano aren't perfect but ime they are relatively faff-free compared to Avids in general and Elixirs in particular

If price is important have a look at the low-end Shimano brakes e.g 300/400 series. They lack the bells and whistles of the Deore/SLX etc and aren't particularly light but functionally they're pretty good
  • Semantik
    .blitz wrote:
    Semantik wrote:
    ...have read that Avids are known to seize on and generally are not reliable.
    yessir they're all like that
    Semantik wrote:
    Are they better off in the bin and replaced with another brand eg Shimano SLX or should I buy the bleed kit and persevere with them?
    You *will* be able to get them working but not for long. Shimano aren't perfect but ime they are relatively faff-free compared to Avids in general and Elixirs in particular

If price is important have a look at the low-end Shimano brakes e.g 300/400 series. They lack the bells and whistles of the Deore/SLX etc and aren't particularly light but functionally they're pretty good

M615 Deore caliper set @ £69.99 seems worth a punt. Still undecided...
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    I had Elixer 7s on my bike, lasted about 6 months before caliper went, I did a lot of research and decided it was better to change the whole lot - not only have I now got better brakes I also haven't had any reliability problems. Went for Shimano XTs, £150 front and rear with new discs and adaptors.
  • Semantik
    Got the Epic Bleed Kit and it did the job- brakes now working again. Squealing like pigs.

Definitely go with Shimano next time though.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I've got elixr 5's on two of my bikes one of which has had no maintenance or bleeding in 6 years - only new pads - it is fine. (Came on an Orange P7!). The other has been terrible and I could never get the thing to work after 6 months. For now the front is ok but degenerating and I binned the back and put on a Zee - now that is a brake and a half!
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    Shimano fit and forget, the wifes bike has M615's and they are brilliant, I swapped my Avid 5's for SLX's which are equally a good as 615's just a bit more "bling" after running into the usual Avid issues...
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube