Forum home Road cycling forum Your road bikes

Random bike spotting

N1TRON1TRO Posts: 103
edited June 2016 in Your road bikes
So I was at this hike & bike event yesterday. I took a couple of my friends and we went on foot, which is beside the point at the moment. There were 2 routes set out, one each for hikers and cyclists. The finish spot was the same though, and I got the chance to photograph a couple of the bikes. You can read more about the event by clicking here, or just look through the pics and post any chance encounters you might encounter.
14a9zqp.jpg

20r60kw.jpg

20kdjdc.jpg

235wyo.jpg

Especially this last one really struck me. It's a Rog Super from around the late 1980s. Rog was a Slovenian bike producer which made all kinds of things, but the company fell apart some time ago and these fine bikes are all that's left. Attempts have been made to revive the brand, but who knows if or when it's going to happen. Certainly a nice contrast to the modern carbon contraptions and proof that you don't need to spend thousand to have a really nice bike. :)

Posts

  • N1TRO wrote:
    Certainly a nice contrast to the modern carbon contraptions and proof that you don't need to spend thousand to have a really nice bike. :)

    Right. And the you'll find yourself scrambling for those gear levers down the tube and start bitching for not riding a modern carbon frame. Old frames are fold old people or untreatable romantics,I'll get that piece of anonymous plastic Sl4 Tarmac anytime.
  • xdocxdoc Posts: 331
    N1TRO wrote:
    Certainly a nice contrast to the modern carbon contraptions and proof that you don't need to spend thousand to have a really nice bike. :)

    Right. And the you'll find yourself scrambling for those gear levers down the tube and start bitching for not riding a modern carbon frame. Old frames are fold old people or untreatable romantics,I'll get that piece of anonymous plastic Sl4 Tarmac anytime.

    Life would be boring if we all road modern Taiwanese carbon, perhaps you think all classic cars should be crushed, you know, having to turn a handle to wind up a window, how archaic is that, and all those black and white houses with no double glazing and thatch for a roof FFS, they should be all knocked down and replaced with Barratts finest!!!
  • cornerblockcornerblock Posts: 3,228
    *adopts Swiss Toni persona* 'Riding a bike is much like making love to a woman. Sometimes it needs to be smooth and fast. Other times it should be hard work, bumpy and sweaty'.

    As it happens it would appear that he already has an opinion. Who knew?

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UxWnQBbIDgQ
  • kingstoniankingstonian Posts: 2,482
    Troll alert
  • veronese68veronese68 Posts: 24,655 Lives Here
    Troll alert
    Do you get the impression he doesn't like old steel frames? I think it's rather lovely.
  • ugo.santaluciaugo.santalucia Posts: 26,441
    Very nice...

    as part of the Eroica preparation we did 85 miles in the Cotswolds on the oldies a couple of weeks ago. The only innovation I can't do without are clip in pedals... the cages are a bit tedious and hurt my feet... downtube shifters are very nice and easy to use... I still think the front derailleur works better with a DT shifter and if you are weight obsessed, it's even lighter than an STI. Gear choice a bit limited (42 x 26), but adequate for most roads up to 15-16%... for the > 20% modern compact chainsets and big cassettes are better. The 9.5 Kg weight is quite competitive with my CX disc bike with road tyres, in fact I climbed Dovers hill in 6:15, the same time I do with it. Hoods are uncomfortable, so I ride the tops and the drops more, which is a good habit anyway... what's not to like?
  • jgsijgsi Posts: 5,029
    One can assume that these unlocked bikes were no way close to where I live... whereby 1 knacker in his Transit would have had a dozen of them away in less than 60 seconds... not nicking them of course,,,just picking up scrap.
  • N1TRON1TRO Posts: 103
    JGSI wrote:
    One can assume that these unlocked bikes were no way close to where I live... whereby 1 knacker in his Transit would have had a dozen of them away in less than 60 seconds... not nicking them of course,,,just picking up scrap.
    Assuming you live somewhere in the UK, as most of this forum's users do, then yes. The pics were taken in Slovenia, in the hills around a town called Maribor. If you're a football fan you might recall a couple of matches we played against Chelsea, Birmingham and the like.

    No worries about these bikes getting stolen up around there. Maybe in the city if you leave it out in the open, unlocked, really wanting for it to get picked up. Here and there bikes do get stolen, but if you keep an eye out it should be fine. And everyone was sitting on the terrace across the road too.

    Back to these old frames though - I'd really like to get one, but it seems all of them were built for larger people than myself. My Diverge is a size 52 (M) and it's almost too big I think. And everything that's selling is even larger, so I'm not sure about buying one and then feeling uncomfortable on it. Plus you can't be very picky either, it's not like there's a huge suply of them, at least not around these parts.
  • N1tro, how tall are you? I am thinking about buying the Diverge Elite DSW. The bike shop only had the Diverge A1 56CM on hand, they fitted me and said 56 was my size. I did feel comfortable on a 20 minute ride, but how tall are you? I am 5'9".
  • N1TRON1TRO Posts: 103
    I'm 5'5'', according to online converters. Tried the A1 S frame, which is the same as the DSW model and it felt a bit small during the short test ride. I took a size bigger and changed the stem for a shorter one, as the stock stem didn't feel comfortable. It's good now, the only thing is slight numbness in my palms after some time riding. Have to shake off my hands for a bit, then it's OK again. Not sure if it's because of the fit or just a general consequence of riding.
  • MatthewfalleMatthewfalle Posts: 17,380

    Right. And the you'll find yourself scrambling for those gear levers down the tube and start bitching for not riding a modern carbon frame. Old frames are fold old people or untreatable romantics,I'll get that piece of anonymous plastic Sl4 Tarmac anytime.


    Ignore him, he's being a jockey. A detractor. Like a Jamaican farmyard vehicle.

    "Eh, Bob, man, ma jeep is stuck in da mud man"

    "No worries Ziggy ma son, I'll get detractor out and we'll have you at the shops in no time man ...."
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

    De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

    Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

    He's right you know.
  • andyrrandyrr Posts: 1,621
    N1TRO wrote:
    JGSI wrote:
    One can assume that these unlocked bikes were no way close to where I live... whereby 1 knacker in his Transit would have had a dozen of them away in less than 60 seconds... not nicking them of course,,,just picking up scrap.
    Assuming you live somewhere in the UK, as most of this forum's users do, then yes. The pics were taken in Slovenia, in the hills around a town called Maribor. If you're a football fan you might recall a couple of matches we played against Chelsea, Birmingham and the like.

    No worries about these bikes getting stolen up around there. Maybe in the city if you leave it out in the open, unlocked, really wanting for it to get picked up. Here and there bikes do get stolen, but if you keep an eye out it should be fine. And everyone was sitting on the terrace across the road too.

    Back to these old frames though - I'd really like to get one, but it seems all of them were built for larger people than myself. My Diverge is a size 52 (M) and it's almost too big I think. And everything that's selling is even larger, so I'm not sure about buying one and then feeling uncomfortable on it. Plus you can't be very picky either, it's not like there's a huge suply of them, at least not around these parts.

    I think that the current way of having a fair bit of seatpost poking out of the frame is not something that has always been seen as the right way - if you look at pics of pros from 30, 40 years ago the frame was comparatively bigger with much less post showing so you might well fit an older frame but with adjustments to the post/stem to accomodate you.
  • MatthewfalleMatthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I think the seatpost sticking out thing is because now frame materials and construction mean that you can get a smaller, stiffer lighter frame to suit you but you need to run the seat post higher for your legs. Compact frames also need this.

    I personally run a really high seat post as I like it when I'm climbing.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

    De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

    Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

    He's right you know.
  • N1TRON1TRO Posts: 103
    That could well be. I've never ridden one of these old bikes, so it would be worth a try.
  • leemehleemeh Posts: 16
    Ive got an old Reynolds 531 - its great fun if you are going out on a less serious ride, the downtube shifting is no issue once you get the hang of it. A football analagy being if you play semi serious Sunday league matches you can still enjoy a kickabout with your mates in your trainers - its just different
Sign In or Register to comment.