Can't Remove Spacer From Fulcrum Zero

fatdaz
fatdaz Posts: 348
edited June 2016 in Workshop
Hi all

I'm converting a bike from 10-speed to 11-speed and I can't get the spacer off the rear wheel hub. The wheel is a Fulcrum zero and looking at the hub there are a series of regular "bumps" on the splines of the hub and the spacer is catching on these. They look like they're caused by wear rather than being part of the hub and I can sand them down or I can cut the spacer off but before I do I just want to confirm that the surface of the hub should be flat.

I have a photo but I don't know how to attach it but I'll happily email it out

Cheers

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    Try a couple of flat bladed screw drivers behind the spacer or an adjustable plumbers grips and try twisting it off, or as you say cut it off, then see if the new cassette slides on without binding on any of the splines.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,223
    Try a couple of flat bladed screw drivers behind the spacer or adjustable plumbers grips and try twisting it off, or as you say cut it off, then see if the new cassette slides on without binding on any of the splines.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Alloy freehubs do this all the time - isnt F0 steel? so, just get a flat file and make them flat so you get spacer off, if this is an 11sp f/h, you ll poss need to do this anyway as it ll make getting the cassette on easier.
  • fatdaz
    fatdaz Posts: 348
    Cheers all. I smoothed it down with a Dremel (other multi tools are available) and all was fine