Panniers

Garry H
Garry H Posts: 6,639
edited June 2016 in Road buying advice
Any point considering anything other than Ortlieb, if the price is not an issue?

Comments

• marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Not really.

A set of Ortliebs will last many many years and handle as much abuse as you can throw at them. Any parts you do manage to break are available as spares which puts them way ahead of anyone else in my opinion.

Only real downside is they are fairly heavy, but that said, anything lighter tends not to be as waterproof as Ortlieb.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Bought a single one as new pre-owned Ortlieb for £30 over three years ago. I used it on the daily commute in all weathers and only issue I have is it's white in colour, other than that I can't fault it..
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Thank you both. Now, which ones to go for...
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    My Ortliebs have done around 20 years of cycle touring. They have never leaked, broken or worn out. Taking them on and off the bike is simple and easy. They are the original shiny PVC finish Bike Packer Classics.

I would recommend the Bike Packer design with a drawcord snowproof top and waterproof outer flap lid in preference to the roll-top design unless you want to use them for something where they will be submerged, like white water rafting. I've used both types. Roll-tops are more fiddly to open and shut, are difficult to close when really full and will not take long oversize items such as tent poles or Thermarest chair kits. The Bike Packers will take long items, while you can store wet waterproofs, towels etc under the flap lid and over the drawcord material to prevent wetting items inside the main panniers. The only drawback with mine is the lack of pockets but modern versions do have them.

Carradice cotton duck panniers are also a good buy (and made in England). But Ortliebs have the edge on waterproofing and ease of use.
  • iron-clover
    iron-clover Posts: 737
    I got fed up with my old and cheap pair of panniers that never really worked that well and I went for a pair of Ortleib Classic rollers in March.

Their biggest drawback is lack of small external pocket for easy reach of items (you can buy a kit to put one on though) but apart from that they just work, and work well.
    I quite like the roll top closure as it means if I've overdone it on the weekly shop you can pack them with care right to the top and use the single strap to stop them from tipping and spilling everything. They hold quite a lot and close normally but when left open in this 'emergency' mode their capacity is vast.

I would just go ahead and buy a pair tbh- apart from Carradice for proper touring Ortleib are pretty much the last word when it comes to panniers.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    I was inititally skeptical about the abuse of plastic in the Ortlieb, but the plastic has actually wore out the aluminium rack, so, really indestructible stuff
    left the forum March 2023
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    I was inititally skeptical about the abuse of plastic in the Ortlieb, but the plastic has actually wore out the aluminium rack, so, really indestructible stuff
    I have that too. The lower rail on the pannier has worn two grooves in the rack. So I've switched to the other side, and will swap them more often when that side catches up (or buy a rack that costs more than £15 )
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,400
    I have Carradice CarraDura bags and they are good. My mate has ortliebs though and they also seem to be good, so in answer to your question I think you'll be fine with ortliebs.

I think they do a carradice plasticy waterproof one as well which could be good.

I saw some nice ones at Spin the other week, called Upso and made from recycled lorry tarps so they are all unique (and fully waterproof). Same fittings as the Carradice so would work.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Carradice Super C. Almost indestructible and infinitely repairable. Waterproofness increases with use but remains breathable (apparently a big advantage in hot climates). Simple construction so jury repairs easy. One advantage over Ortlieb is that damage is more satisfactorily repairable - just stitch some more cotton duck from Carradice in. A friend who uses Ortlieb ended up replacing a bag that had got chewed by an animal - you'd probably just repair a Carradice in that circumstance and any repairs would be much less noticeable.

I'd agree with Mercia Man about the roll tops. My friend was very keen on them but we spent many hours (!) rolling them up and I have no doubt that the conventional closures would have been just as waterproof in any circumstance other than total immersion. If you must go for roll tops, it is probably still worth having at least one conventional opening bag for stuff you want access to on the way.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Andy9964 wrote:
    I have that too. The lower rail on the pannier has worn two grooves in the rack. So I've switched to the other side, and will swap them more often when that side catches up (or buy a rack that costs more than £15 )

Or you just protect the rail with a few wraps of gaffer tape and the rack never wears out!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,400
    http://www.upsobags.co.uk/recycled-bike-bags/panniers

These are the Upso ones - not cheap but look cool and feel very durable.
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    I used Vaude panniers for very well loaded trips to and from uni and the supermarket etc. I was very impressed with their quality.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    I use cheap and light Revolution panniers from Edinburgh Bike co-op. When I need waterproof panniers I use (also light) dry bags as liners.

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... nnier-bags

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... proof-bags
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    Rolf F wrote:
    Or you just protect the rail with a few wraps of gaffer tape and the rack never wears out!

I've done just that at the weekend, added a square inch of 0.2mm shim steel as a "belts and braces" thing too.