Road Bike General Use Tyre Advice?

bungle73
bungle73 Posts: 758
edited June 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi. Just about to take the plunge and buy my first road bike that I've been going on about for ages.

What I'm looking for is the best compromise between speed, puncture resistance, and comfort, for general riding. The bike I'm looking at comes with pair of 25c Continental Ultra Sport IIs, with the option of a pair of 25c GatorSkins for an extra £39.99.

I've been looking online and I can get a pair of Continental Grand Prix 4000 S IIs for £59.99 which seems like a good deal, and not that much more than I'd be paying for the GatorSkins.

What I was thinking was I that would get the bike with the stock tyres, and then change them for the 4000 S IIs. Thoughts?

Comments

• trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    The Ultra Sports aren't bad tyres, wear them out first then get GP4000S2. Forget the Gatorskins, they are more of a heavy duty commuting tyre, probably a downgrade performance wise on the standard tyres TBF.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,789
    As above, the "upgrade" to Gatorskins for £40 is definitely not worth it. Stick with the stock tyres or get the GP4000s.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    ^ wot he said on all counts. The 25mm Conti Ultra Sports are a decent enough tyre if you're just getting in to road cycling. Wear them out first.

Avoid the Gatorskins, and under no circumstances spend an extra 40 quid 'upgrading' to them.

Keep an eye on the rear tyre, it will wear quicker than the front. When it's significantly squared off, you can see patches of carcass through the tread, or you start to get frequent punctures, start shopping for replacements.

Conti GP4000SII or Michelin Pro4SC are the light / grippy / reasonably durable folding tyres commonly recommended on here. I have the Michelins on my summer bike. Bear in mind the 25c version comes up at least 27mm wide if you have limited frame clearance (most new bikes do have clearance for at least 25s)
  • bungle73
    The bike has a wide clearance, which is one of the reasons I chose it.

Thanks folks. :)
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    As above advice - Conti GP4000s or Michelin Pro4 Endurance are good all rounders. If you want something a little more hardy, the Conti GP 4 Seasons are good all rounders but not quite as nice a ride as the others mentioned.

Good luck with the new bike.

Peter
  • bungle73
    Thanks. I ordered it last Friday, but it's not going to be ready to be sent out until the 29th. :(