chain keeps slipping off big ring when big power put down

ianbar
ianbar Posts: 1,354
edited June 2016 in Workshop
hey, i took bike to the lbs as i suddenly realised my chain ring had lost 2 bolts! anyway since picked her up when i am in big ring and i put a lot of power down the ring keeps slipping off (crank side). i assume its just the limiting screw that needs a little adjustment? i am going back to lbs as it wasn't doing this before i took her in before, just really wanted to have some idea myself before i take her in.

cheers
enigma esprit
cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,642
    It probably just needs the cable tension adjusted, with maybe some attention to its high limt screw.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    What he said. Why not have a go at fixing it yourself? It should take 10 minutes at most and, if you do get into a pickle , then the LBS is there to bail you out. Replacing bolts and limit adjustment should be basic stuff for most cyclists. There are some great YouTube vids to help before you start.
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    if the chainring had lost 2 bolts - check it's still straight and true - move the chain to the inner ring and rotate to check
  • dee4life2005
    dee4life2005 Posts: 773
    I had my chain slip off the big ring like that ... turned out it was my large chainring was worn and needed replaced. How many miles have you done on the bike? And do you tend to be in the big ring when moving away from traffic lights etc. (that's what I was guilty of).