Painting a frame

pesky_jones
pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
edited June 2016 in MTB general
I have stripped all the paint off a transition blindside 2009 (aluminium)

I want to paint it with a spray can

What coats do I need? Primer - colour - finish?

Can anyone recommend a spray can? I was just thinking about one from wilkos/homebase etc.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Spray cans aren't good for mountain bike frames. It'll be badly chipped in no time.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you do use cans, you have to do it properly, acid etch primer, topcoat and clearcoat, spray wet on wet (so first coat of colour on damp primer and so on), but it won't be all that tough, although mine lasted OK for 4 years before looking tatty.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Easier to get it powder coated to be honest, harder wearing an probably cost about the same once you prime paint an clear coat it.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    rough cost of powder coating>
  • Rookie1986
    Rookie1986 Posts: 153
    Try google, loads of companies do it:-
    Triple S Powder Coatings:-

Bicycle Parts Price List

Please note - these prices are for guidance only, and vary from bike to bike, depending on size and condition. We reserve the right to change prices.

Frame.-from

£40.00 Non-metallic

£56.00 Metallic

£64.00 Candy

Forks.

£18.00 Non-metallic

£25.20 Metallic

£28.80 Candy

A typical adult mountain bike in a non-metallic colour would cost £55

Hope that helps
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    Not saying it will but.....painting as opposed to powder coating is preferable - I believe, metallurgically speaking, alloy frames can suffer from precipitation heat treatment (artificial aging) depending on what temperature the coating/curing process is performed at.
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill