Commuting in the rain

llyamah
llyamah Posts: 32
edited June 2016 in Commuting chat
Hi all

I've just started cycling into London and absolutely love it! I notice that next week is looking horrible weather wise.

What do you all do to keep your gear dry? I travel in with a laptop and some clothes. I've seen some waterproof backpacks (Alpkit Gourdon) looks good, but was wondering if there are any other sensible alternatives (e.g. drybags that go into a regular backpack.

Cheers.

Comments

• hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    I use a 20l overboard pro-sport backpack. It's a roll-top, and fully waterproof. It's big enough for 5 shirts in an eagle creek shirt folder thing and 5 sets of socks and underwear plus one of those microfibre towels. I keep shoes and trousers at work. Luckily I don't have to cart a laptop about, but the bag should take a days clothes plus a laptop.
  • I have an old Timbuk 2 courier bag that is as waterproof as you can get.

I'd go for something similar, flaps rather than zips if possible because that way it won't leak.
  • vpnikolov
    vpnikolov Posts: 568
    I use a Deuter Race 10l backpack in which I pack my shirt, socks, underwear and occasionally my lunch box. It has an included rain cover which of course I put on whenever needed. I think you can buy backpack rain covers separately so if you already have a bag, just buy a cover and you are set!
  • tootsie323
    tootsie323 Posts: 199
    Completely irrelevant, as my commute is nowhere near London and is largely cross-country (hardtail MTB), but I cannot resist sounding out :)
    We have showers at work and I keep a change of clothes there. MY laptop (and other items) is in a rucksack (daypack) with the rainproof cover available. Otherwise I simply get wet and muddy (insert another smiley...).
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Is there any way that, for example, you can tube in on Monday, take a load of kit for the week, then just get wet?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • llyamah
    Thanks for the replies.

bendertherobot: not really... the clothes are not really the issue, it's more the laptop, which I have to cart around with me all the time.
  • rhodrich
    rhodrich Posts: 867
    The other thing that will help to keep you and your kit surprisingly dry is mudguards. Get some decent ones if you don't already have a pair.
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1956 Carlton Flyer Path/Track
    1960 Mercian Superlight Track
    1974 Pete Luxton Path/Track*
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • rhodrich
    rhodrich Posts: 867
    Oh, and if you're carrying a laptop the whole time, it makes a lot more sense carrying it on the bike, rather than having the weight on your back.
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1956 Carlton Flyer Path/Track
    1960 Mercian Superlight Track
    1974 Pete Luxton Path/Track*
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    And next week's not THAT bad. Wait until December ;)
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It has been remarkably dry this year!

Agree with Rodrich - heavy laptop in panniers would be preferable. Seems a bit mental to carry it around (are you an auditor by any chance!?)

I have a deuter bag too and just pull over the waterproof covers when it rains.
  • llyamah
    I'm a lawyer! It's not that heavy - it's only a 12 inch laptop. For some reason I am a bit unsure about getting panniers!
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    llyamah wrote:
    I'm a lawyer! It's not that heavy - it's only a 12 inch laptop. For some reason I am a bit unsure about getting panniers!

Panniers are not as bad as they look once you actually try them. Buy a super cheap rack and panniers and see how you feel with them - they really do not stick out or over balance you; they are actually a stabilizing factor compared to a backpack. If you like them and I am pretty sure you will then you can start looking for a bargain on a decent set. I use a large drybag in combination with backpack and cover or my panniers - just cos my commute is very puddley and I love splashing through. BTW - planetx dry bags are really ok and dirt cheap.
  • I use a tesco's carrier bag.

Pre 5p charge, so effectively free, keep it scrunched up in the bottom of the bag, use it when it's going to be wet. Should I be carting extra stuff I normally roll out a M&S carrier bag that's in my locker at work which has a spare change of cycling kit in, quite a heavy duty one so I regard this as a premium option.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Alpkit gourdon is a dry bag with rucksack straps. I use that kayaking. Just get one of those. Sorted. Or look at Lomo - they do similar ones.
  • condorman
    condorman Posts: 811
    I carry my shirt, tie, pants and socks in an waterproof Ortlieb A3 mapholder and pop flat (standing up ) in my rucksack. That way everything remains dry regardless of the weather. The shirt is wearable and doesn't crease - at least a judge has never said that he can't hear me! I use a small A5 sized mapholder to put my phone, blackberry, watch and wallet in as well.
    Condor Pista
    50x16
  • jfparis
    jfparis Posts: 22
    Just started commuting as well. If you only have a 12inch laptop or tablet this would fit perfectly in the wingman bagpack. Just tested mine this week when it rained. Worked great and also solved the clothes issues

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00N ... financf-21

I have a 15 inch laptop and with that bag it is too tight. That said also like the idea of others above to use a rack on the bike for that purpose
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Ortlieb pannier for my lunch, clothes etc. Only issue with riding in the rain is it gets wet and I have to grab some loo roll to wipe it down before I put it in my locker but I do put it on a carrier bag on top of other stuff already in my locker.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    If you're happy with a backpack (as am I) - been using one of these for ages now:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lomo-High-Visi ... o+backpack

Totally waterproof. Only downside is that it's just a sack - no pockets or compartments inside, but I just stick the laptop in an old laptop sleeve, keys etc in a separate bag and it's all good.
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Podsacs (or equivalent) - doesn't matter how degraded the waterproofing on the outer bag, anything in a Podsac will stay dry. Very cheap from PX.

Panniers much better than rucksacks. Actually, I'm getting increasingly unable to tolerate backpacks now. Prefer to put the weight on the bike.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • llyamah
    Rolf: do you mean something like this?

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CCPDULSS/p ... e-stuffsac
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    llyamah wrote:
    Rolf: do you mean something like this?

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CCPDULSS/p ... e-stuffsac

No - that is a compression sack which allows you to get more crap in your rucksack but the opening will let water in. What you want is one like this

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CCPDRS/pod-drysac

The roll top means that water just does not get in

edit - actually the one I linked to is huge a smaller one would make more sense
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    Mudguards are a must for very wet weather. Life saver in winter.

Bring in what you can and leave it and decent waterproof bag for the laptop.
  • Full length mudguards is needed whatever you do. Especially in a country like England where it is wet and rainy all year round. I can't speak for bike clothing and pannier racks as I don't use them.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You don't use (wear) clothing on your bike?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Deuter 20L bike rucksack

Rode in with it today, used the built-in rain cover - result: laptop and clothes dry, me very wet (had a shower to dry out)

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    SecretSam wrote:
    Deuter 20L bike rucksack

Rode in with it today, used the built-in rain cover - result: laptop and clothes dry, me very wet (had a shower to dry out)

Deuter 18L superbike rucksack

Rode in with it today, didn't use the built-in rain cover - result: laptop and clothes dry, me very wet (had a shower to dry out)

Deuter stuff is fab
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo