Kona Minute Bottom bracket

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,538
edited June 2016 in Commuting chat
So I think I need to change the BB on our Kona, though I have not managed to get to it, yet, having partially (I hope only) rogered the thread on the left crank arm - so may need to order a new 175mm ISIS crank worst case.

Is it worth trying to tighten up the existing BB - it's 3 years old, sees regular use, but is rarely out in the rain.
Probably averages around 10 miles a week I reckon, though that will be increasing come September.

Looking online, the spec tells me that it comes with an FSA Powerdrive BB, but I assume that is a version of a stock ISIS BB, so I could either get an FSA one such as this:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FSA-BB-8420-Power-Drive-Bottom-Bracket-68mm-x-113mm-Double-Snap-Seal-/311611494809?hash=item488d7e1199:g:FlsAAOSwfZhXNZVu
$_57.JPG
Am I safe to assume that it must be a 68 X 113 as that is what they all seem to be?

I see plenty of 68 X 108's out there, but assume they would be the wrong size.

OR, go for something like this which is cheaper but the same dimensions:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VP603-Bottom-Bracket-BB-68x113mm-ISIS-Spindle-Interface-1-37-x24T-English-Thread-/321724066682?hash=item4ae83fab7a:g:BIoAAOSwFnFV8Yig
$_57.JPG

Or would this do the trick?
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fsa-platinum-isis-bottom-bracket/rp-prod2962
Contemplating ordering both of the 68's and then I have them on hand when I finally get to the original one, just not sure if the above is worth more than the other ones, reviews would suggest not.

The reason it would be nice to order a BB before I can get the cranks off, is that it's a working bike, and needs to be up and running really, so would be nice to do it all in one hit.
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    FSA powerdrive is not ISIS, similar but won't work - you can see that from the photo's you've posted above.

Axle width is matched to the crank arms to get the right chainline, so either
    1/ Measure the axle on yours
    2/ Remove and see what length it says
    3/ Find out what axle width your cranks need via the relevant technical documents.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • daniel_b
    Darn, thanks for that TR.

The one I reserved at Halfords I will need to cancel then.

So - I'm a little confused now, if the powerdrive is unique, does that mean I need to find a crankset that has compatibility with a powerdrive BB?
    I was looking at an ISIS left hand crank, but it appears my stupidity may be a lot more costly than I initially thought.
    Might need a new BB AND crankset at this rate.

Hmmm, ok found some powerdrive crank arms for £30 on the bay, only need one though, but gives me a spare I guess.
    It's a 36\24 setup, so imagining the other option is to find a complete chainset with those kind of cogs, and then go for whatever BB mates with it.
    These seem to be VERY thin on the ground though, unless I go for a triple, but assume that would then cause other sorts of issues......
    Sigh.

Or I could get a right hand triple changer I guess, but then it just seems to snowball out of all proportion.

I think I am going to order those cranks, and a powerdrive BB.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    Ok, so I went for the pair of cranks and BB from the ebay seller, £57 delivered - £30 of which is down to my own stupidity.

Hopefully thiss BB will last a good few years - is it worth me seeing if the current one is rescuable?

Thanks for the heads up on the BB incompatibility TR really apprecaite it, saved me a fair amount of hassle, and also rang Halfords to cancel my reservation - but as they already had it in store, won't have caused them too much hassle.

Do people think when this expires I should look to change both the BB and crankset for osmething else altogether?
    As this powerdrive malarkey seems to be a pretty narrow choice.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Personally I'd have got a Shimano hollowtech2, they feel nice and rigid, the lowest end ones are just as good (slightly heavier, though usually lighter than internal bearings like yours) and replacement higher end BB's are fairly cheap.

Something like https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-ti ... 62076.html
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • daniel_b
    The Rookie wrote:
    Personally I'd have got a Shimano hollowtech2, they feel nice and rigid, the lowest end ones are just as good (slightly heavier, though usually lighter than internal bearings like yours) and replacement higher end BB's are fairly cheap.

Something like https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-ti ... 62076.html

Darn, oh well I have ordered now, so am committed to this route - will stick with this for a couple of years, and then perhaps by then it won't be on child carrying duty, so can be given a more beefy cog size up front.

Thanks again.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18