Motiv 26" bearing repair

jkk
jkk Posts: 2
edited June 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Kids brought home a free 26" Motiv Stonehill a while back. They've been riding it for months. I noticed it needs some maintenance so it's time for them to learn some bike maintenance stuff. The rear wheel axle needed grease but I was wondering if I could get replacement bearings. The bearing ring holds 6 balls, which I think is uncommon.

Can I replace the balls and keep the existing ring/housing? I haven't taken the crank out yet - any idea as to what kind of bearing it uses there? Will the standard 44 piece bike toolkit sold on eBay suffice for them working on this bike?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The toolkit would probably be worth a lot more than the bike.
    Never heard of it, but what specs I can find are here, if it's the same bike. Never heard of them

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Bike ... =Stonehill
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You can get the six balls in a cage, or go the better option and fill it with the same size balls loose, cages are used to save money as the cage is cheaper than the balls they delete.

Photos suggest the BB is cup and cone as well, so just get a ball bearing and replace with the same size.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.