First road bike new or used?

iand-83
iand-83 Posts: 132
edited June 2016 in Road buying advice
Looking to buy my first road bike, seen a few used bikes locally for sale which according to size charts are the correct size for me. Hopefully I can try them before I buy.

Would people advise go new bike to be able to pick and try different frame sizes or save some pennies and buy a used one?

Comments

• kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Iand-83 wrote:
    Looking to buy my first road bike, seen a few used bikes locally for sale which according to size charts are the correct size for me. Hopefully I can try them before I buy.

Would people advise go new bike to be able to pick and try different frame sizes or save some pennies and buy a used one?

Fit is important - therefore I would go to a shop who know what they are doing -but probably settle for a lower spec bike.

You don't to end up with the used bargain thats 3 sizes to big.
  • REDUTOPIA
    REDUTOPIA Posts: 71
    With a mid budget I'd suggest new because the helo of a bikeshop is quite useful for who are starting
  • leemeh
    leemeh Posts: 16
    Bike shop without a doubt. If you arent experienced anything you can sit on and reach the hoods will probably feel correct. You probably wont know if you feel too stretched, cramped or about right as you have no experience yet to base your choice on. Once you've handed over the cash on a used bike its yours. Youre either in the land of reselling or you're chucking money at it to try and make it fit.

A local bike shop will fit you up and if they get it wrong, you have some come back. Most will have a turbo trainer in store so you can test out, they'll more than likely even let you take something out. You'll be surprised how a bike with handle bars 10mm closer or further away (with everything else in the correct place) is the difference between feeling like you slept in a phone box or a bike you cant wait to get back on.
  • iand-83
    iand-83 Posts: 132
    Thanks for the response, looked into things further and looks like I'll get a lifetime frame warranty if I buy a Trek or Giant which were two of the bikes I was looking at
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Iand-83 wrote:
    Thanks for the response, looked into things further and looks like I'll get a lifetime frame warranty if I buy a Trek or Giant which were two of the bikes I was looking at

Fits still more important - esp for your first bike