Wide road tyre recommendations - suitable for some gravel riding

Roberto di Velo
Roberto di Velo Posts: 127
edited June 2016 in Road buying advice
As the title says, I'm looking for recommendations for some new tyres to stick on my Croix de Fer. At the moment I'm running 35mm Cyclocross Speed, but they aren't the fastest and given that I am riding 99% on roads, with just the odd bit of bridleway thrown in, I think I'd prefer a more road orientated tyre.

Cheers in advance!

Comments

• trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    GP4000S2 in 25C.
  • staffo
    staffo Posts: 82
    Schwalbe S-One works well for me 50-50 road and towpath gravel
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Specialized Roubaix Pro 30/32
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I was riding 25/28 specialized roubaix pro tyres which are fast enough on road and handle smoother off road trails fine. Due to riding more off road i switched to the same tyres but 30/32 size as the smaller tyre was more effort to ride on loose surfaces. So far no punctures.
  • staffo wrote:
    I'd thought about this, but the impression I get is that the Aksium discs I'm currently running aren't ideal for converting to tubeless.
  • staffo
    staffo Posts: 82
    staffo wrote:
    I'd thought about this, but the impression I get is that the Aksium discs I'm currently running aren't ideal for converting to tubeless.
    They can also be used with an inner tube but they are quite tight on the rim.
    Another tyre to consider is the Panaracer Gravel King 28c, definitely more road than gravel tyre despite the name.
  • antonyfromoz
    antonyfromoz Posts: 482
    You could try the Clement MSO Xplor tyres in 32mm or their USH tyres in 35mm - the latter has a flattened area in the centre of the tread to improve speed on the road and the former is what I use for commuting and bridle paths. Prices are reasonable too.
    http://www.probikekit.co.uk/bicycle-tyr ... n=10961849
  • tangerineowl
    tangerineowl Posts: 101
    Check out the offerings from Compass (US).
  • stavgold
    stavgold Posts: 61
    As already mentioned I'd recommend compass tyres. They are available from velovitality. I've been using the 38mm Barlow pass compass on my Croix de fer for over 6 months. They are fitted on fairly wide rims (h plus son Archetype) so not sure how fit on narrower rims. They are super supple large volume road tyres that can be run at low pressures. I'm heavy (85kg) and run them between 45-55 psi. They are smooth and fast running both on road and on gravel paths. I did the trans Pennine trail with them last month and had no issues. I've also fitted SKS mudguards and use it as my winter bike for club runs.

My next tyre will probably be another one from compass but the schwalbe g-one looks interesting and has had good reviews.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    If you don't think you'll need tread just get the Hyper Voyager from Planet X. £11.99
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I'm running Vittoria Randonneur Pro 32c on my Cross bike, which is used mainly on roads but also good for tow paths and the like. Sometimes I could do with a bit more width and tread for grip, but make do with reducing the pressure a bit (60psi) if riding "off" road.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,789
    drlodge wrote:
    I'm running Vittoria Randonneur Pro 32c on my Cross bike, which is used mainly on roads but also good for tow paths and the like. Sometimes I could do with a bit more width and tread for grip, but make do with reducing the pressure a bit (60psi) if riding "off" road.

Ditto for my Croix de Fer, albeit I've got the 35mm ones.

So far they've proved up to the job for winter roads, railway paths, bridleways etc. Obviously no good in mud but you can't have it all!