SRAM Rival or Shimano 105 chainset?

holiver
holiver Posts: 729
edited June 2016 in Road buying advice
The existing BB and chainrings on my Kinesis are very much at the end of their life and I am considering changing the whole unit (currently a 10 speed SRAM S550 with GXP BB) instead of replacing only these parts.

There appeal to be good deals on the above 11 speed chainsets at the moment, which I assume will run a recently installed 10 speed KMC chain without issue?

Which chainset and associated BB would you guys recommend? I am leaning toward the SRAM Rival on looks alone at present.

Comments

• philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    105 chainsets are pretty bombproof. I use these, or ultegra or rotor chainsets with a 24mm axle based bb86 BB.

the 11 speed chainsets are fine with 10 speed chains.
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Or get a cheaper 10 speed 105 chainset and then save money in future with cheaper ring replacement?
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    It's your personal preference. The Shimano advocates will come out and tell you 105 5800 and riders like me will come on and tell you SRAM Rival 22. For what its worth; I recently changed my SRAM Red 10 speed equiped bike for SRAM Rival 22 and have no regrets. Changing gear and ergonomics are perfect for me as is the size and feel of the hoods. There's no discernible difference between my Force 22 bike and the Rival 22 equipped one.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    I pootled down to my LBS over lunch today to discuss. 105 plus the Ultegra level BB will do and shouldn't result in any weight penalty over what I am currently running.

The 105 crankset has an interesting design, which I didn't pick up in the online photos. Much of it is matt black, but there is some gloss detailing that will tie in with my frame.