Cycling v Scooter - Risk assessment

kingrollo
kingrollo Posts: 3,198
edited June 2016 in Road general
Mods feel free to move this if not appropriate to this thread.

Ive been road cycling for around 25 years - I commuted through the west Midlands traffic for 3 years.

Ive always wanted to get a vespa or a lambretta scooter - my parents put me off when I was younger due to the dangers etc - as any any parent would...

I just wondered if the risks of a low powered scooter are significantly higher than cycling ?

and would my experience a cyclist help or hinder the transition to motorised transport....

Any thoughts ?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    kingrollo wrote:
    I just wondered if the risks of a low powered scooter are significantly higher than cycling ?

The only risk is being recognised while riding one. To mitigate this risk, wear a full face helmet - or some kind of mask...
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,751
    I have a vespa, had it for the last year and in my youth I had Lambrettas and Vespas for about a dozen years. Are they any riskier than cycling - difficult one - I think the answer is probably yes though in my youth I don't think I even thought about the risk. My current scooter tops out at about 55mph which is not really fast enough for say a dual carriageway but is fast enough to do a lot of damage if a car pulls out in front of you - far more so than if you are doing say 20mph on a bicycle.

That said I am far more risk averse on my vespa than I am on the bicycle - so the way I ride there probably isn't a huge difference in risk - also I've had a more serious accident on a bicycle than I ever did on a scooter - in fact the only three real scooter accidents I had one was on the back of someone elses when he missed a give way and rode into the side of a taxi, one was me riding into the back of a volvo which had stopped at some lights because I was looking for a video shop and one was me draughting another scooter about a foot behind them when their engine seized.

In short after a period of getting used to it so long as you are risk averse I don't think there is a huge difference between a scooter and road cycling - but I would get the biggest capacity/fastest scooter you are allowed as even urban riding now necessitates mixing with some quite fast traffic and you are safer holding your position.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,411
    I would get the biggest capacity/fastest scooter you are allowed as even urban riding now necessitates mixing with some quite fast traffic and you are safer holding your position.
    All good advice but that is worth repeating. Speed is your friend, up to a point. It's good to accelerate clear of surrounding traffic from lights and such like. There are times when a burst of acceleration is the best way to get out of trouble.
    I've ridden motorbikes most of my adult life and a few scooters. I must confess I prefer the larger wheels of a traditional motorbike to the small wheels of a scooter. The small wheels don't feel as stable, but that's probably a case of what I'm used to. I don't think it is any more or less dangerous, just different. As you are not exerting yourself you will generally be wearing more so will be better protected should you come off. I always wear gloves and boots when riding, and a helmet of course (full face for me). I also wear a proper jacket with padding and if riding any distance motorcycle trousers. Speeds are generally higher, but grip and brakes should be better.
    Always ride assertively, never aggressively.
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    Used to have an Italjet Formula 50 (well 2 of them, but that's another story) ... It was derestricted and went like stink, the brakes weren't up to the job though and you got a fair 'wobble' at >60mph (slight downhill on a dual carriageway) ...

Just as safe as a bike in the city but the temptation to open it up was always there ...
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Seeing as everyone is being serious - you will probably need a CBT anyway, so it's not like you won't be taught what to look out for...
  • gimpl
    gimpl Posts: 269
    Have never ridden a Vespa but do remember riding a small wheeled moped (Honda Express i think) when I was younger and the small wheels were awful - you'll definitely notice that. My old man did buy a Vespa once and got rid of it after two weeks as he just thought it was too unstable.

I stopped riding motorcycles about 10 years ago as it was just getting far too dangerous out there on one. As we know from riding bicycles it's not us typically that is the danger, it's the other road users. Come off a bicycle at 18mph and it's going to hurt sure but you'll probably live. Come off at 50mph even with a motorcycle lid on and I don't fancy your chances too much - serious injury at least.

I do really miss it though, I love motorbikes: the noise, the thrill, the smell of a two stroke :mrgreen:

As an aside - if you want to be impressed have a look at this: [urlhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmNXCJt7K3Q][/url]