Riding in the drops - when / how much?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Flat backs are faster but more uncomfortable - they require stronger back & core strength - that's why you don't do it all the time.

Bent arms on hoods with a flat back is marginally faster than flat back on the drops, but that requires even more strength.

So for long stints with a flat back, sit on the drops. For shorter stints, you can get away with being on the hoods.

When descending you should always be on the drops.

Sprinting too.

The thing is - the more you do those things, the more conditioned and adaptive your core becomes. I don't think there's any particular reason why a flat back should be uncomfortable anyway - unless you simply weren't used to it.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,700
    Requires more core strength for the same power.
  • imposter2.0
    Not sure what you mean, sorry...
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380

What if you're just as happy and fast descending on the hoods?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535

Lower centre of gravity in the drops giving more stability.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    when riding on my own i spend 80-90% in the drops, but have set them up so i'm more comfortable there than on the hoods.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Matthewfalle
    apreading wrote:

But what if you're just as happy and fast descending on the hoods?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • andrewjoseph
    apreading wrote:

buy a flat barred bike? chop the redundant bits off to save weight when climbing? realise that you could probably be better in the drops?
    :wink::wink:
    --
  • imposter2.0
    apreading wrote:

If you already have a flat back on the hoods (as mentioned previously, by bending your elbows when on the hoods), then your CoG will be largely unaffected by simply moving your hands lower.
  • Matthewfalle
    apreading wrote:

buy a flat barred bike? chop the redundant bits off to save weight when climbing? realise that you could probably be better in the drops?

But why would you be better in the drops?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    apreading wrote:

I'm a strong advocate of riding on the drops, it's er more aero.... :D

dcd5942c6ca9638e8d88381f8661b71a.jpg
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • rick_chasey

Lower centre of gravity, much more leverage on your brakes.

However hard you think you can pull on the hoods, you can pull harder on the drops.

It also begs the question, if you're still more comfortable when descending on the hoods - despite the higher speeds, I'd say your bars or the drop is probably too low.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Watched the Brownlee bros around Leeds today, reassured me that if they don't feel the need to be in the drops most of the time when they are racing 40km, neither do I!
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    larkim wrote:
    Watched the Brownlee bros around Leeds today, reassured me that if they don't feel the need to be in the drops most of the time when they are racing 40km, neither do I!

That's about it.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    Racing bike bars offer a variety of positions. I tend to use most of them in a ride if only for variety. I always descend on the drops, but I'm a fast descender and need the control and braking.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • rick_chasey
    larkim wrote:

Might want to lop off the drops entirely and ride with bullhorns then. Save some weight.

You're taking cues from Triathletes? That's where it's going wrong.
  • larkim
    LOL, I suspect the Brownlee bros (and any other elite triathletes) are superior cyclists to most (all?) who post on here! But just checking out some photos of the TdF online, it's obvious that the answer to my original question was "the pros ride with their hands in many positions, no reason why you shouldn't too".
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    larkim wrote:
    LOL, I suspect the Brownlee bros (and any other elite triathletes) are superior cyclists to most (all?) who post on here! But just checking out some photos of the TdF online, it's obvious that the answer to my original question was "the pros ride with their hands in many positions, no reason why you shouldn't too".
    Very true, I like having the options on a drop bar bike, I have ac favourite, but I do vary the position.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I very rarely use the drops, on fast descents (some of the time) or occasionally with a headwind, that's about it. I find the difference in body position between the drops or hoods is only marginally different, but the difference on the drops means my legs are coming up into my torso a smidge.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • rick_chasey
    If you're not gonna use 'em, lose 'em.

tumblr_leig5svYnN1qdw1kro1_500.jpg
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I don't use a pony tail so I lost that.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • larkim
    I think for me I prefer to be in the drops when I think I might need to apply the brakes harder, so fast descending generally makes drops a must. I know its heresy, but my first "proper" bike when I was younger was a Sun Solo with 5-speed gears and extension brake levers on the flats as well as brakes on the drops. Not as efficient for stopping power (but I wasn't ever going that fast on it anyway) but definitely useful as a speed control and easier to use than dropped brakes alone.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    drlodge wrote:
    I don't use a pony tail so I lost that.

Hahaha, my fave reply in ages :lol::wink:
  • andrewjoseph
    larkim wrote:

i doubt that you can claim that they are superior to most on here, the cycling is only a ⅓ of their sport, they only need stamina, not so much skill in a bunch, from what i've seen the cycle routes are not very technical.

i think the most technical part of their sport is the transition and getting into the bike shoes. :wink:
    --
  • larkim
    I'll let you claim that if you want Andrew. These are guys who are running sub 30 minutes for the 10k of the run where running is "only" 1/3 of their sport too. Bear in mind that last year on the track only 23 men in the UK clocked a sub 30 minute 10k. I doubt they are particularly "worse" at cycling than they are at running.

At the London Olympics Alistair Brownlee covered the 43km route on his bike in just over 59 minutes, by my reckoning that's 27mpg average, after a 1500m swim and before a sub 30 minute 10k. Sounds pretty swift to me,,,
  • larkim
    To be fair, I've not dealt with the technical aspects that you raised. Though as they ride in a pack these days where drafting is allowed, I suspect they are riding more competently in a technical way better than most here. Add to that the sorts of courses they race around (city centre, tight turns, barriers, high speed etc) I stand by my assertion - if they are not better than everyone on here, they are better than the vast majority.
  • Anonymous
    larkim wrote:

At the London Olympics Alistair Brownlee covered the 43km route on his bike in just over 59 minutes, by my reckoning that's 27mpg average

He had an engine!
  • Anonymous
    larkim wrote:

At the London Olympics Alistair Brownlee covered the 43km route on his bike in just over 59 minutes, by my reckoning that's 27mph (FTFY) average, after a 1500m swim and before a sub 30 minute 10k. Sounds pretty swift to me,,,

I would be happy with a 22mph avs after a splash in the bath and prior to a dash to the cafe 8)
  • larkim
    Mpg <> mph oops!
  • paul2718
    paul2718 Posts: 471
    I was sad enough to go and look at the Olympic Triathlon on YouTube. Both Brownlees well in the drops.

Drops for descending, going fast and butting a headwind. Doesn't seem too controversial.

Paul