Is the CAAD8 that much faster?

Paratactical
Paratactical Posts: 3
edited June 2016 in Road buying advice
I will be buying my first road bike soon and will be doing so at the entry level. The two I have narrowed it down to are the Cannondale CAAD8 Sora 7 and the Specialized Allez Sport. From what I've read these two bikes are the best sub $1000 bikes.

I like the looks of the Specialized and the feel but I've read in multiple reviews that the CAAD8 is "faster". I understand that much of the ability to go fast will come from my abilities to push the bike. But would the CAAD8 really be that much faster based on build alone? I want fast, so if it could potentially be that much faster I'd prefer to go with the CAAD8. I'm pretty sure the answer is " no, it won't be THAT much faster" but I want advice or opinions from riders with experience.

Thanks for reading and I appreciate all replies and constructive criticism.

Comments

• Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,660
    No.

Buy the one that fits best, and that you like the most. That will encourage you to ride more, which will make a *vastly* greater difference to how fast you are than any perceived or real difference between the two bikes.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • smmjrr
    smmjrr Posts: 45
    As above buy what fits you best I travelled over an hour to try the Cannondale as I had my heart set on one, did not fit me as well as my second choice, also unless it is an absolute steal you have to like the look the two I looked at were very close in looks, the better fit swayed me to my second choice so bought the second choice bike, i have since purchased a second bike which fits great but I do not like the look, it was simply to good a deal to turn down a 2016 bike at 1/2 price from my LBS, so unless it is a steal go with fit and looks and you will be happy, Steve
  • REDUTOPIA
    REDUTOPIA Posts: 71
    No! Buy what you like really, what is most suitable for you and what fits better with you.
    The rest are just empty words.
  • Well just to inform those of you who answered my question... I ended up bumping my budget up a little bit and decided to try out the Giant Defy Disc 1. Test rode it, didn't look back, now own a Defy Disc 1. Absolutely love it. Bought it three days ago and already put 70 miles on it.