upgrading drive train

jachtroland
jachtroland Posts: 2
edited June 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
hello,
i currently have a 1x8 drive train and wanted to go up to a 1x10 or maybe 1x11 if possible but i do not want to have to buy a new hub. I was wondering what the largest cogset i could have on my current hub was. I have SRAM X9 derailleur, X4 8 speed shifter, SRAM PG820 11-32 T cassette, and 32h SL-7 alloy hub whatever that means. Obviously i would replace the shifter, cassette and chain but i would like to keep the derailleur and hub.

thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The 8 speed freehub will take any Shimano compatible 9,10,11 speed cassette (but not a SRAM XD cassette).

Personally I'd go with a 10 speed Sunrace cassette, 11:40 or 11:42 MX3 (or cheaper MS3) or the new 11:46 MX8.

You'll need a new shifter (obviously), rear mech (SRAM swapped from 1:1 to direct actuation ratio s the new shifter isn't compatible with the old mech) - so you could go SRAM or Shimano, also a new chain.

For an for a sprocket larger than a 40 it needs some mods to the mech, for a 40 usually just a longer B-screw, not sure about the 46t).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.