Fasten chain. Shimano pin or KMC quick link?

ben@31
ben@31 Posts: 2,327
edited June 2016 in Workshop
Hi,
When fitting a chain. Do people prefer fitting the permanent pin that comes with Shimano chains or using an after market quick-link instead?
I already have a chain breaker tool and fitted Shimano chains before. I just wondered if using Shimano's pin has any benefits over using a KMC quicklink ? Is it any more stronger or durable?
Also, are there recommended limits to how many times you can break a Shimano chain and fit another pin?
It's a 11 speed 6800 chain.
I understand a quick-link chain can be removed for cleaning, like putting it in a jam jar. But I've cleaned chains left just on my bike using a cloth. I found the chain cleaning plastic box things don't work well (just smeared the oil around).
Thanks.
"The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby

Comments

• Personally, I always use the Shimano pin. Like you, I clean the chain "on the bike" so not being able to remove it easily is no hardship.

All Shimano chain pins and KMC 11-speed quick links are single use only. If you did need to break a Shimano chain multiple times, it would be better to break it at a different place each time, rather than breaking at the old pin, even if you put a new pin in. But bear in mind that no broken and rejoined link will be as strong as a factory-installed link.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,159
    the connex 11-speed link is removable
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    KMC link every time even if they're single-use - after a pin-related niggle (accidentally installed from the wrong side and the nose of the pin acted to push the chain down a ring on the rear cogs - change down to the cog it was trying to push it to, and it did the same again... - resolved with some light filing of the nose of the pin)

Where are people acquiring their Connex links from (last time I looked it was about £3.50+post for one... Last bag of 10 KMC links was £7 delivered...)
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    I have just shortened and fitted a new Shimano 10sp chain, using the original pin I partially pushed out to remove the links. I only discovered the connector pin when about to throw away the packaging.
    Is this likely to be considerably weaker than using the connector pin or a powerlink?
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    KMC - always have done on all types of bikes. Never take the chain off to clean either. Just happier knowing that it's an easier operation to change the chain when I need to. Did one just last week. The 11 speed ones can be used a couple of times - dozy git here actually routed the chain the wrong side of the tab in the rear mech cage and had to undo and redo. Not a problem undoing and redoing.

Never had a problem on 4 bikes (2 mtb, 2 road) in the last 5 years that I've been using them - 20 chains or so? Only chain I've had that failed was a Shimano one (sample of one I know!) which ripped the mech off when it got jammed in the cage. Luckily it snapped the hanger with no more damage.

PS - I'm assuming the plastic cleaning boxes you mean are the ones where you clamp them over the chain and wind back the pedals? They do work very well but you do need to rinse the chain and wipe it down afterwards to get all the degreaser/grease mix off.
  • Lookyhere
    Lookyhere Posts: 987
    Dombo6 wrote:
    I have just shortened and fitted a new Shimano 10sp chain, using the original pin I partially pushed out to remove the links. I only discovered the connector pin when about to throw away the packaging.
    Is this likely to be considerably weaker than using the connector pin or a powerlink?

emergency repair only, its works but the links can and will pull apart.
    if you go online shimano tech doc;s they explain how to rejoin the the chain, they dont inc instructions anymore in the packaging, Shimanos method is to do with the chain direction of travel and the leading link to use.

By pushing the pin back through, you ve enlarged the outer link hole, so if it were me i d replace this with a kmc quick link, your problem is going to be finding the link you used.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Dombo6 wrote:

If you've pushed out a pin you've sheared off a small ring of metal, so reusing the pin is considerably weaker. Your difficulty is going to be finding that pin again to push it out completely.

Shimano clearly think their joining pins are the best way of joining a chain. If you never envisage removing the chain till it's worn out, use the Shimano pin. If you're like me and constantly rotating / removing chains then use a KMC link or similar.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Can the KMC chain link be opened and closed multiple times? If its single use only, then its defeated its purpose over the Shimano chain connector pin.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • sungod
    ben@31 wrote:
    Can the KMC chain link be opened and closed multiple times? If its single use only, then its defeated its purpose over the Shimano chain connector pin.

sram ships its chains with a link (9-speed re-usable, 10/11-speed one-time use)

bear in mind there're people who can't work a quick link, let alone fit a pin
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    ben@31 wrote:

I've removed my 11spd KMC quick link at least 4 times at this stage (and re-fitted it) without any problems. It says single use on the box but they open easily with chain pliers so I dont see why they cant be re-used. They aren't like the 9 and 10spd KMC links which can be opened by hand for some reason but I'd imagine its due to the thinner plates and pins.
  • sungod
    fwiw with the sram 10-speed one-use links i once tested to see what happened if they were forced open (i always used a kmc removable instead)

the first time of opening (using link pliers) took slivers of metal off the locking surfaces of the plates, after that it was easier to close/open

the point is that removal physically damaged the link, there are three possibilities...

the damage reduces failure probability
    the damage does not alter failure probability
    the damage increases failure probability

personally i'd bet on the latter, therefore i would not re-use a one-time link, a chain snapping can cause a nasty accident, if a few quid extra reduces that risk, i'll spend the extra few quid
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    KMC Quick Link is fantastic. And you get two in a pack so you have a spare in case something happens on the road.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    To be honest I don't trust myself putting in pins. Too much chance of error when compared to a quik link, which is basically foolproof, though not completely. Way easier too. Can't see any reason to use pins.
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    Fenix wrote:
    KMC Quick Link is fantastic. And you get two in a pack so you have a spare in case something happens on the road.

A good summary, plus:

For chain removal/cleaning/refitting, it is a perfect, simple solution.

Also, I've done a few tens of thousands of miles using KMC quicklinks with not one issue, either in use or in maintenance.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Last bag of 10 KMC links was £7 delivered...)

Do tell where from! I have always paid significantly more!

This topic has come up about 10,000 times (do a search) and general consensus is KMC best and most of us seem to reuse them freely, including myself, despite the official "Single use" instruction.
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    I've never had a problem re using KMC quick links. I regularly take my chain off for cleaning.
  • DAZZ_A
    DAZZ_A Posts: 74
    Another vote here for quick links, I believe the term "single use" refers to when replacing a chain for a new one, then you should use a new link. I have assembled and reassembled my chain now 5/6 times and still going strong.

I also use the gold one so its easy to spot.
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    Secteur wrote:
    Last bag of 10 KMC links was £7 delivered...)

Do tell where from! I have always paid significantly more!

This topic has come up about 10,000 times (do a search) and general consensus is KMC best and most of us seem to reuse them freely, including myself, despite the official "Single use" instruction.

99% sure it was gobike88 on eBay - they certainly all came on the KMC card - and if I remember correctly, the prices he was charging in £ were different to those in € and various sorts of $ but all good for international shipping from Taiwan.