Forum home Road cycling forum Road beginners

Lack of motivation of attempting more than one hour road cycling

Tony Chopper-KunTony Chopper-Kun Posts: 58
edited June 2016 in Road beginners
I usually find one hour of cycling is enough, with one water bottle and no food is needed, which is a lot convenient than preparing.

2 hours or 3 hours usually considered too long, I won't worry really much on losing weight, don't need to cycle more than 1 hour for body conditioning, and I have one other sport very excessive on cardio / (some on muscle essentially)

I always ride same routes , one or two, and I hardly see anything benefit cycling more than one hour.

Some 2 hours route, I probably ridden there before and always thought it is not worth it, because traffic hazard in steep downhill, and mostly flat road I prefer. I am not usually 100% ready for cycling 2 hours everyday, if i feel weak / not properly fuelled, otherwise there are risk of crashing / riding too slow on some areas like 40mph lane, some roads are congested more likely, some very steep hills, and i sometimes cycled 3 hours together cuz there is a goal ahead (e.g. leisure centre, freebies, extremely cheap items collected from halfords 70 pound reduction).

If I get certain far places not to be bored , then i need 4 or 5 hours which is way too long, and it is almost half a day.
«1

Posts

  • sungodsungod Posts: 13,203
    yes
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • danny788danny788 Posts: 8
    Cycle as much as you like.
  • pinnopinno Posts: 40,133
    Shall I. shan't I...
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • webboowebboo Posts: 3,127
    I don't know where you live but in my world 4 or 5 hours isn't half a day. More like a quarter or less.
    You might want to work on your maths before you put too much effort in to cycling as you might be counting those sprockets wrong.
  • PituophisPituophis Posts: 1,025
    Tony, that's a crazily worded post to answer, so I guess you are going to get some stick. (I know you are :cry: )
    I will try and answer what I think you are asking! I might be way off. :oops:

    Don't feel like you have to ride every day. When I was starting out I did this and soon found I was getting slower and more exhausted by the day! I started to dread it! Have a day or two off the bike between rides and you will look forward to it again!
    Don't ride the same routes all the time or you will lose the will to get on a bike fairly quickly.
    I joined Strava, stalked a few local riders, and asked if they minded if I followed them to get some route ideas. This works very well without sending birthday cards etc. :D
    Try throwing the bike in the car and driving somewhere "nicer" then you can still ride for an hour, but somewhere different occasionally.
    Also, this is the second of your threads that I have read that mentions "dangers" (not your words.) Cycling on the road is full of near misses and morons in cars/vans/etc, but if you think about it too much, you will never be comfortable on the road, and may be better on a mtb (not sarcasm, honest!) I haven't been knocked off yet, but know that it may happen. I never give it a second thought or I wouldn't ride a bike. Less beer, less cake, or bigger belly. :( Just get on and go for it, you have to die of something. :D

    There will follow a flurry of posts disagreeing with everything I have said, shortly. It's just my opinion. :wink:
  • pinnopinno Posts: 40,133
    The post is fine pituophius, it's the over use of icons that get's me. :wink:
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • _Jon__Jon_ Posts: 366
    Pituophis wrote:
    Tony, that's a crazily worded post to answer, so I guess you are going to get some stick. (I know you are :cry: )
    I will try and answer what I think you are asking! I might be way off. :oops:

    Don't feel like you have to ride every day. When I was starting out I did this and soon found I was getting slower and more exhausted by the day! I started to dread it! Have a day or two off the bike between rides and you will look forward to it again!
    Don't ride the same routes all the time or you will lose the will to get on a bike fairly quickly.
    I joined Strava, stalked a few local riders, and asked if they minded if I followed them to get some route ideas. This works very well without sending birthday cards etc. :D
    Try throwing the bike in the car and driving somewhere "nicer" then you can still ride for an hour, but somewhere different occasionally.
    Also, this is the second of your threads that I have read that mentions "dangers" (not your words.) Cycling on the road is full of near misses and morons in cars/vans/etc, but if you think about it too much, you will never be comfortable on the road, and may be better on a mtb (not sarcasm, honest!) I haven't been knocked off yet, but know that it may happen. I never give it a second thought or I wouldn't ride a bike. Less beer, less cake, or bigger belly. :( Just get on and go for it, you have to die of something. :D

    There will follow a flurry of posts disagreeing with everything I have said, shortly. It's just my opinion. :wink:

    I disagree with everything you've just said.

    Only joking, you talk a lot of sense. Especially the bit about mountain biking being a much better sport to get into than road cycling. :wink:
  • pinnopinno Posts: 40,133
    _Jon_ wrote:
    Pituophis wrote:
    Tony...opinion. :wink:

    I disagree with everything you've just said.

    Only joking, you talk a lot of sense. Especially the bit about mountain biking being a much better sport to get into than road cycling. :wink:

    Bun fight, bun fight, bun fight...
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • me-109me-109 Posts: 1,365
    Think more of different routes. Think less of 'how fast?'
  • SMESME Posts: 348
    _Jon_ wrote:
    Pituophis wrote:
    Tony, that's a crazily worded post to answer, so I guess you are going to get some stick. (I know you are :cry: )
    I will try and answer what I think you are asking! I might be way off. :oops:

    Don't feel like you have to ride every day. When I was starting out I did this and soon found I was getting slower and more exhausted by the day! I started to dread it! Have a day or two off the bike between rides and you will look forward to it again!
    Don't ride the same routes all the time or you will lose the will to get on a bike fairly quickly.
    I joined Strava, stalked a few local riders, and asked if they minded if I followed them to get some route ideas. This works very well without sending birthday cards etc. :D
    Try throwing the bike in the car and driving somewhere "nicer" then you can still ride for an hour, but somewhere different occasionally.
    Also, this is the second of your threads that I have read that mentions "dangers" (not your words.) Cycling on the road is full of near misses and morons in cars/vans/etc, but if you think about it too much, you will never be comfortable on the road, and may be better on a mtb (not sarcasm, honest!) I haven't been knocked off yet, but know that it may happen. I never give it a second thought or I wouldn't ride a bike. Less beer, less cake, or bigger belly. :( Just get on and go for it, you have to die of something. :D

    There will follow a flurry of posts disagreeing with everything I have said, shortly. It's just my opinion. :wink:

    I disagree with everything you've just said.

    Only joking, you talk a lot of sense. Especially the bit about mountain biking being a much better sport to get into than road cycling. :wink:

    I disagree in exactly the same manner too!!!
    Seriously, a lot of sense there - couldn't say it better.
  • me-109 wrote:
    Think more of different routes. Think less of 'how fast?'

    the problem is after 3 hours, where do you go to toilet without locks on bike, and how to refill the water bottle without paying. The reason why doing it fast, like no toilet and no stop for food / drink, etc

    Does 3 water bottle handle 5 hours journeys? Is 2 water bottle not enough for 4 hours?
    Do I need to eat properly for 2 / 3 hours ride?

    my main purpose is commuting, having drop bar bike increases speed a lot; and dealing with traffic such ease and trouble free with filtering and travelling similar speed in some situations.


    what should i have on food?

    I got 30g carb granola bar (from supermarket), 16p each, and i use it one per hour.

    Is it not recommend to use high5 energy drink / with/without protein together rather than juice squash diluted in water bottle?

    some of the route are high speed like more than 30mph to get through across the river by bridge / tunnel. or shorter route, otherwise getting to there by route around it will takes too long. To ride anywhere you wanted, you always need to ride as fast as 25mph, like the one inside the tunnel / or bridge has 3 lanes or more in one way road
  • VslowpaceVslowpace Posts: 189
    all we need now is a mention of helmets and someone didn't reciprocate my cheery wave and i'm calling house
  • singletonsingleton Posts: 1,662
    Have you looked into joining a local cycling club?
    They often have people who know good local routes and riding in a group may be more fun and make you feel safer on the road.
  • bflkbflk Posts: 240
    me-109 wrote:
    Think more of different routes. Think less of 'how fast?'

    the problem is after 3 hours, where do you go to toilet without locks on bike,

    Field/ditch/bush/tree/dry stone wall :)
  • pinnopinno Posts: 40,133
    bflk wrote:
    me-109 wrote:
    Think more of different routes. Think less of 'how fast?'

    the problem is after 3 hours, where do you go to toilet without locks on bike,

    Field/ditch/bush/tree/dry stone wall :)

    Do they have any of those things in Hong Kong?

    Seriously, where are you cycling Chopper-Kun? Is the crime rate so high that you cannot leave your bike whilst you go to the toilet or a cafe stop?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • BobbinogsBobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I think the answer is quite simple, get a 13 tooth sprocket! In fact, I am beginning to wonder if that should be the standard answer to all threads.
  • [/quote]

    Do they have any of those things in Hong Kong?

    Seriously, where are you cycling Chopper-Kun? Is the crime rate so high that you cannot leave your bike whilst you go to the toilet or a cafe stop?[/quote]


    mainly long stretch road on flat level with less roundabout (3 lanes or more ) and rarely go through dual carriageway 40mph

    If I want to go somewhere off most certain I been to, then it will may take up to 3 / 4 hours.

    There is always a same road, has a lot of cyclist, but I didn't bother for this road, since it will takes at least 2 hours
  • homers_doublehomers_double Posts: 6,692
    You don't have to go somewhere, you can just plan a route and do a loop, say 1.5 to 2 hours.

    I cycle the same route in a morning for a bit of training, it's 35km and takes me just short of 1.5 hours. I do this becaue I know what time I need to get up, what time I need to set off and because of that I'm at my desk by 9am (ish).

    Have a look at strava and the route planner and see what you can plan out as a different and interesting ride, it doesn't take long and you can tailor the length to your needs.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • You don't have to go somewhere, you can just plan a route and do a loop, say 1.5 to 2 hours.

    I cycle the same route in a morning for a bit of training, it's 35km and takes me just short of 1.5 hours. I do this becaue I know what time I need to get up, what time I need to set off and because of that I'm at my desk by 9am (ish).

    Have a look at strava and the route planner and see what you can plan out as a different and interesting ride, it doesn't take long and you can tailor the length to your needs.

    there are roads with a lot of car you cannot ride at fast speed all the time, unless you filtering from way outside of 2/3 lanes of cars. It is a matter of time who take the lane first and prevent overtaking /undertaking before the traffic light, some on other lanes switch lane and stack it more ahead for the other motorist behind them.

    for people who cycled more, do they only have one sport which is cycling?

    how long does cycling club lasts for? I always thought these club takes as long as 3 hours or more.

    does it matter which time to cycle on?
  • webboowebboo Posts: 3,127
    Have you thought of commenting on the EU in or out thread. It might help you decide what sprockets you need or improve your motivation.
  • daniel_bdaniel_b Posts: 8,769
    This has to be fairly high quality trolling I am thinking.

    :D
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • craigus89craigus89 Posts: 887
    This is worded like one of those spam comments at the bottom of a web article that uses phrases that fit but makes no sense.
  • homers_doublehomers_double Posts: 6,692
    True but I'm pretty sure his grasp of our language is better than ours of his.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Mad_MalxMad_Malx Posts: 4,097
    I'm not convinced he has another language and in reality he is fluent in English. His vocabulary and spelling don't match the gibberish he is posting.
  • homers_doublehomers_double Posts: 6,692
    True, it does appear that he's found out that both bicycles and the Internet exist at the same time.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • pinnopinno Posts: 40,133
    webboo wrote:
    Have you thought of commenting on the EU in or out thread. It might help you decide what sprockets you need or improve your motivation.

    Or it may make him suicidal.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • darkhairedlorddarkhairedlord Posts: 6,448
    C'mon we already called this as manchurian33
  • WheelspinnerWheelspinner Posts: 4,987
    Tay Lives!
    Open O-1.0 Open One+ BMC TE29 Titus Racer X Ti Giant MCM One Cannondale Prophet Lefty Cannondale Super V SL Cove Handjob Cervelo RS
  • stevie63stevie63 Posts: 481
    Maybe the Paxbot is trying a different trolling approach.
  • surrey_commutersurrey_commuter Posts: 12,613
    pinno wrote:
    webboo wrote:
    Have you thought of commenting on the EU in or out thread. It might help you decide what sprockets you need or improve your motivation.

    Or it may make him suicidal.

    I suspect half the people on that thread are Manc33
Sign In or Register to comment.