Full Sus Wheelies

AllAboutGuitar
AllAboutGuitar Posts: 47
edited June 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Brace yourselves for possibly the most stupid question you've ever seen.

I think I already know the answer.

I have a full sus MTB unfortunately the rear suspension doesn't have a lockout feature. I'm still quite good at wheelies, starting to get the hang of them.

Now onto the main point, what seems to have helped me a bit is if I let all the air out of the rear, that makes it a bit easier, at least for me. Now could I trick the bike into thinking it's a hardtail by putting a solid block of something there or should I just wait and go for the expensive option and get a rear suspension that has lockout?

Thanks, (sorry for my stupidity in advance, haha)

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No.
    And why?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    No.
    And why?

I can think a bit weirdly sometimes... go to extremes.

Thought I might be able to do it as a cheaper option than buying a lockout suspension.

Any recommendations?
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Should be able to pop a wheelie with the normal shock pressure, I do it without issue.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'm no good at wheelies, but no worse on the FS than the HT - no lockout.

The bigger issue with FS bikes is usually the effective seatstay length is longer, so more effort is needed to get the bike (and you) moving up, once it's up it makes no odds.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Suspension shouldn't effect wheelies if you use the correct technique. Look up manual techniques, use the manual technique to get the front wheel up, find the balance point and pedal. Keep the back brake covered.
    I'm a bit shlt at them but even I can keep them going for 50 metres with rear shock unlocked. Only the front suspension has an effect on wheelies and it makes it loads easier to get it up.
  • The Rookie
    it makes it loads easier to get it up.
    Other methods are available I believe.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    The Rookie wrote:
    it makes it loads easier to get it up.
    Other methods are available I believe.......

Available on prescription at your age isn't it?
  • The Rookie
    And yours......
  • rockmonkeysc
    Not yet. I've got a few more years and a very lucky wife ;-)
  • The Rookie
    She's lucky because you can't get it on prescription? OK I think I understand that.......I'm sure she is dreading when you can.

Didn't even know there was a lower age limit!
  • rockmonkeysc
    She'll be lucky in later. I'll get her the best 12 seconds of her life.