SPD clipless pedals?

2»

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Yes. A few comedy falls and it will just feel natural and you'll wonder why you waited so long to make the switch.
    It literally took me one ride to decide I'd never need flats again
  • GTruckusFR
    GTruckusFR Posts: 14
    JGTR wrote:
    Seriously, this is getting boring now, just buy a set of Shimano with or without cages, there's a reason why they are by far the most popular brand of SPD pedal.

Cage won't make any difference when clipped in but it's useful on tricky sections as you can use them unclipped fairly well.

it the goal of a forum mate: to help, discuss and share!
    If it's too boring for you to help someone why do you still come in my topic.
    I'm sure you could find a topic elsewhere where you can share you genious and opinion with fun!
    don't be afraid to leave i will not be angry! :wink:

but i' am agree with this
    Cage won't make any difference when clipped in but it's useful on tricky sections as you can use them unclipped fairly well.
    cooldad wrote:
    Worst of both worlds, if you can find somewhere to buy them.

why worst? could you explain?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Platforms make it harder to clip in, and platforms with clips are rubbish compared to decent flats.

I use flats 99%, but if and when I get an urge to try clipless again I swap pedals, takes 5 minutes.

Then I go back to flats.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    GTruckusFR wrote:
    JGTR wrote:
    Seriously, this is getting boring now, just buy a set of Shimano with or without cages, there's a reason why they are by far the most popular brand of SPD pedal.

it the goal of a forum mate: to help, discuss and share!
    If it's too boring for you to help someone why do you still come in my topic.
    I'm sure you could find a topic elsewhere where you can share you genious and opinion with fun!
    don't be afraid to leave i will not be angry! :wink:

but i' am agree with this
    cooldad wrote:
    Worst of both worlds, if you can find somewhere to buy them.

why worst? could you explain?

Ha ha it's boring because you ask advice yet you seem to know all the answers and discount the advice given to you. I was just trying to help you make a descision and make your purchase, which is the ultimate aim of your thread surely??????

SPD shoes rely on the sole of the shoe to support the foot, not the cage/platform of the pedal hence the combination pedals with the large platforms are pointless.
  • GTruckusFR
    ok! I think we had a wrong start!

i don't think to have all answers! Just i already had a set of clipless pedals (an old DX646) and i was confident with these many years!
    but of a long illness i had stopped mountain biking for few years! Now i'm feeling better, recovering is in a good way and now i want to return to MTB.

for the moment i have a set of plateform (i guess a wellgo or something like) and i would like to have a set of clipless with plateform to be confident, with i can jump but have a strong pedalling in the faster parts or during the climbs (you can't deny clipless optimise your pedalling).
    I have not all answers but i remember i was confident with the old DX ones but i guess few years later there are many others sets more modern and well made.

I am not silly i can noticed that when the clip in on feet are not totally in contact with the cage but i want plateform because when i had the DX646 it was more easy and comfortable to clip again when i had unclip in a technical part.

that's all i say!
    I don't take you for a fool ignoring all advices but i want anyone to consider my willing and my opinion and feelings.;-)
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    The Rookie wrote:
    The platform on the 530 isn't much use and to be honest no easier to clip into at all. It's only benefit is a bit more support of the shoes don't have a very stiff sole, but it doesn't offer enough support to really help much, I started with 520's and only ever used that type.

So how do you know the m530s offer no extra support if all you've ever used is the 520.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    cooldad wrote:
    Platforms make it harder to clip in, and platforms with clips are rubbish compared to decent flats.

I use flats 99%, but if and when I get an urge to try clipless again I swap pedals, takes 5 minutes.

Then I go back to flats.

Complete and utter bollocks.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • JGTR
    (you can't deny clipless optimise your pedalling

Yes you can, studies have shown no advantage over flats with regard to pedalling efficiency.

I used SPDs for years, flirted with flats but always used skate shoes - bought a proper pair of MTB flat shoes and the difference is amazing, i liked SPDs as I felt connected when tanking downhill, get the same feeling with the MTB shoes and flats now
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Briggo wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    The platform on the 530 isn't much use and to be honest no easier to clip into at all. It's only benefit is a bit more support of the shoes don't have a very stiff sole, but it doesn't offer enough support to really help much, I started with 520's and only ever used that type.

So how do you know the m530s offer no extra support if all you've ever used is the 520.
    Because I rode a mates bike once to try out the bike and he had them on.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    Blind fold, I reckon I couldn't tell you if I had the 530s or the 520s on if I was placed on the bike and just told to clip in. Personal experience based on the DHB shoes that I use and the 520s and 530s that I already own. Other shoes may offer a different sensation if the lugs on the sole extend a little further.

But now that the OP has clarified why he is opposed to 520s, I think the debate for this thread is over. He won't be buying 520s. So can we agree that 530s are not a terrible choice, even if we don't think the benefits he believes he will get will be delivered in practice?
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • rockmonkeysc
    The Rookie wrote:
    Briggo wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

I've got M520 and M530. The cage does absolutely nothing. It gives no support and isn't a usable platform. The only thing it might do is give some protection from rock strikes.
  • JGTR
    The Rookie wrote:
    Briggo wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

I've got M520 and M530. The cage does absolutely nothing. It gives no support and isn't a usable platform. The only thing it might do is give some protection from rock strikes.

I've climbed from the bottom to the top of Afan using the cage so not entirely useless.
  • GTruckusFR
    JGTR wrote:

Yes you can, studies have shown no advantage over flats with regard to pedalling efficiency.

Can i expose you a question:

if the clipless don't bring pedalling efficiency...why the professional cyling on road and even in XCO use clipless pedals?

if there is no efficiency they would still rode with flat pedals with strap, no? :)
  • Briggo
    edited June 2016
    The Rookie wrote:

If I had a £1 for every time I've heard that from a 'know it all' when their knowledge is questioned.
    GTruckusFR wrote:
    JGTR wrote:

if the clipless don't bring pedalling efficiency...why the professional cyling on road and even in XCO use clipless pedals?

if there is no efficiency they would still rode with flat pedals with strap, no? :)

Fair challenge, I have 2 bikes, ones clipped ones not, I think I can feel the difference, I can certainly get the power down more easily when I need too - pushing and pulling.

However I prefer flats if I'm honest, just feel safer on the gnarly stuff.

In terms of the pros I guess there are other benefits such as removing the issue of losing grip of a flat pedal mid race for example.
  • JGTR
    GTruckusFR wrote:
    JGTR wrote:

Don't take my word for it, Google it, loads of work done on the flat v clipped debate. I suppose it could be because it gives better connection, the shoe becomes part of the pedal and its significantly lighter than separate pedal/shoe combo.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Briggo wrote:

Have you ever give clips a real try for more gnarly riding?
    I feel so much more secure on clips for downhill. Never get my feet bounced out of position, I can pedal in places I found impossible on flats plus putting a for out looses you control when cornering so staying clipped reminds you to keep your feet where they should be. When it gets desperate I can still unclip instantly without having to think and when crashing I have never fail to come straight out of the clips.
    I used to crash a lot more on flats than I do on clips and because I can pedal in more places it's made me faster.
    The only time I use flats now is for jump sessions, can't bail on a jump with clips!
    When was the last time anyone won a world cup DH or XC race on flats?
    Flat pedals don't win medals
  • Briggo
    Briggo wrote:

Have you ever give clips a real try for more gnarly riding?

Yeah I have and I agree I need to man up and get over the fear, the flats are on my Trance and the clips are on my Reaction GTC.

I've had the Reaction for a month now, so I'm getting more and more used to clipped so there may come a time when I fully transition. However I've never lost a footing on flats mid downhill, by dropping heels it adds the extra weight to keep them in place, I also prefer the ability to slightly move the foot about on the pedal mid technical sections to allow more movement to balance where I need too.

However, I'll certainly give clipped a chance once I'm a lot more comfortable with them.
  • GTruckusFR
    JGTR wrote:
    GTruckusFR wrote:
    JGTR wrote:

Don't take my word for it, Google it, loads of work done on the flat v clipped debate. I suppose it could be because it gives better connection, the shoe becomes part of the pedal and its significantly lighter than separate pedal/shoe combo.

i'm not a great scientist but with few logical i think ( and that only my two cents) clipped are more efficiency because as you say pedal and shoes make one and it is easy to push on the pedals like on flat and easier to pull in the last half of pedalling when the pedal goes down to up
  • rockmonkeysc
    Briggo wrote:

However I've never lost a footing on flats mid downhill, by dropping heels it adds the extra weight to keep them in place, I also prefer the ability to slightly move the foot about on the pedal mid technical sections to allow more movement to balance where I need too.

However, I'll certainly give clipped a chance once I'm a lot more comfortable with them.

While dropped heels is ideal you shouldn't be moving your foot around on the pedal, there's one good position and other than twisting slightly for cornering your feet shouldn't be moving on the pedal.
    Clips alow a good amount of twisting of the foot.
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    I had the m424s. Didn't really get on with them and found them no easier to clip in than non platform SPD's.The resin cage came loose too. I'd go for m520stbey are chea,simple and just work.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo