Cycling Safety Survey

russellsg
russellsg Posts: 6
edited July 2016 in Commuting general
Hi everyone,

I am currently conducting some private research on cycling safety and how cyclists conduct themselves on the highway. This has no commercial basis and I have no commercial interests in cycling or cycling products. I trust that people using this website will treat this in good faith and respond to this research by completing a short Cycling Safety Survey from the attached link. It will only take a few minutes and your input is very much appreciated.I have had tremendous support from a number of cycle forums and happy to provide any further details or information about myself or the survey if you have questions.

http://goo.gl/forms/97TyELFKC3K8mKDT2

Many thanks

Comments

• russellsg
    russellsg wrote:
    Hi everyone,

I am currently conducting some private research on cycling safety and how cyclists conduct themselves on the highway. This has no commercial basis and I have no commercial interests in cycling or cycling products. I trust that people using this website will treat this in good faith and respond to this research by completing a short Cycling Safety Survey from the attached link. It will only take a few minutes and your input is very much appreciated.I have had tremendous support from a number of cycle forums and happy to provide any further details or information about myself or the survey if you have questions.

http://goo.gl/forms/97TyELFKC3K8mKDT2

Many thanks

Just as an update I have around 110 responses so far. I still need quite a lot more to get any meaningful analysis. Any help you can give to increase the responses would be great.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    I did it - interesting mix of questions. I left a few remarks which I will not repeat here to avoid prejudicing others.
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    I did it. Hmmm, "cycling safety and how cyclists conduct themselves on the highway"
    What's your agenda?
    Are you doing a similar survey for car/bus/lorry drivers?
    What are you trying to ascertain?
    I smell a rat, feel free to correct me.
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • russellsg
    Andcp wrote:
    I did it. Hmmm, "cycling safety and how cyclists conduct themselves on the highway"
    What's your agenda?
    Are you doing a similar survey for car/bus/lorry drivers?
    What are you trying to ascertain?
    I smell a rat, feel free to correct me.

Thanks for the comment. Please believe me there is no agenda. I ride to work and back on busy Singapore roads everyday which is a challenge in itself. I am only asking these questions because I am really interested to see if I can get any useful information back from a perception based survey such as this. Once I get enough responses I hope to be able to slice and dice up the data and look for any interesting correlations. Yes it is not the most scientific survey in the world and we may get nothing useful out of it in the end. I will try and post any information that I do get but I still don't really have enough data yet. Feel free to take out of it what you wish but I stress that this is only for interest value as I like working with stats for fun. That makes me sound pretty boring I suppose but that is really all there is to it.
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    Russel, thanks, appreciate the response, feeling less cynical now! I would be interested in the data when you've done your thing with it.
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • russellsg
    Yes of course - I will post what I get
  • Classic33
    Classic33 Posts: 374
    Quote from elsewhere
    By way of update I have 164 responses so far. This is good and I can start to play with the numbers a bit. I still want to try and get a lot more responses if I can.

Thanks
    russellsg,
    Classic
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Most of my answers would be it depends on circumstances so I see little value in the data this survey is attempting to gather.

I'm on board with AndyCP, probably one of those 'Studies' used in the Faily Dale for click bait
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • I filled it in.

I will jump a red light if the road is clear in all directions and no pedestrians are crossing. I figure it's safer getting a head start that jostling for position with a car driver who may be impatient to get past me. Apart from that I'll stick to the highway code.
    Carrera Subway 2015
    Boardman Hybrid Team 2014
  • Underscore
    Underscore Posts: 730
    Most of my answers would be it depends on circumstances so I see little value in the data this survey is attempting to gather.

I'm on board with AndyCP, probably one of those 'Studies' used in the Faily Dale for click bait

Totally agree. I completed it too, FWIW, but there seemed to be a lot of duplication (not to mention ambiguity) in the questions. There was also at least one question where none of the answers applied to me but I needed to select one in order to submit - so I ended up selecting the least bad answer rather than one that accurately represented my view...

_
  • Classic33
    To those who have gone to survey, do a virus check.
    Classic
  • Classic33
    russellsg wrote:
    Yes of course - I will post what I get
    No he won't, as proof I offer the link with the "survey" now disabled. Feel free to check, he's not even certain of the final number of completed forms, whether it's 389 or 215.

The latter being deemed insufficient to draw any conclusion from. So he's deleted the results.
    Classic
  • russellsg
    For everyone's information I have removed the survey because of the number of untruths that have been spread by certain people. The I have reported the behaviour of the above person "classic33" on a number of sites because of his inappropriate posts. This survey was set up with good intentions as a private survey with no agenda other than that of interest value. For some reason certain people including classic33 has taking upon himself to troll my posts through the cycling community. I am quite prepared to talk to anyone via email, telephone, Skype or whatever to answer any questions you have. I am prepared to be totally up front about any questions you may have. I am not so sure classic33 would be prepared to do that.

HIs comments above about checking the survey for a virus is nothing more than inflammatory,untrue and stupid. The site was hosted by Google and is perfectly safe. I am sorry for all the people that took time to complete the survey and had genuine interest in the results but due the sabotage it has received I felt I had no choice but to discontinue the survey and have the results deleted. Thank you for your help for those that participated
  • Classic33
    Anytime I visited the survey, I was left with facebook link. Question asked elsewhere as to what it was, went unanswered. Almost as though he didn't want to see it.

Simple questions asked went unanswered.

Also accused elsewhere of following him here, in 2005.

Being upfront and not insulting.
    Yes and before you try you amateur network forensics you will notice this IP address is the same as BeccaBikes. That is because I am in the UK visiting. There you go I saved you some time as I am sure you have more important things to do.
    Classic