Cannondale CAAD 12 vs. Focus Cayo

ozantabas
ozantabas Posts: 15
edited June 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi everyone!
I've been searching about bikes for 3 months and finally I'm about to make my final decission. Here are the top 2 bikes of my list:
Cannondale CAAD 12 105
Focus Cayo Tiagra
    I know this choice will be something like Alu. versus Carbon but I'm still confused. CAAD 12 is the best Al. bike I can buy but on the other hand Cayo is a really good Carbon bike. Prices are nearly same but there are some differences between these 2 models: First of all CAAD 12 comes with full 105 set (Except FSA Chainring) but cayo Comes with full Tiagra set (Except brakes) Is there a huge difference between 2016 tiagra and 105? Also I'm considering getting a full Ultegra set 1.5-2 years after I buy my bike. Secondly, CAAD 12 comes with Mavic Aksium wheelset and Cayo comes with Fulcrum CEX 7.0. Any idea about these wheelsets?
So, as you can see I'm confused by these 2 bikes and I'm looking forward to your advices.
Thank you in advance.

Comments

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    edited June 2016
    I've got a CAAD12 and I find it excellent. The CAAD frame is likely cheapr than the Focus frame so if the overall bike price is the same then you are probably getting better componements on the CAAD.

If you buy that bike with 11 speed 105, then you probably won't need to change the groupset to ultegra, but if you go with the Focus then you may want to upgrade the Taigra to Ultegra - but you may find that the Tiagra is just fine.

If they both fit you, then buy the one that you really want - follow your heart.
  • REDUTOPIA
    REDUTOPIA Posts: 71
    I tell Focus. However I suggest you to get what you really want, what do you like most.
  • ozantabas
    ozantabas Posts: 15
    Thank you guys. What about wheelsets? Is there a big difference between Mavic Aksium and Fulcrum CEX 7.0?
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    Ride them both.
  • REDUTOPIA
    REDUTOPIA Posts: 71
    I don't believe change something relevant.
  • gaffer_slow
    gaffer_slow Posts: 417
    the focus is significantly more aggressive (long and low) than the CAAD (which is itself and aggressive race bike)
  • bigmul
    bigmul Posts: 208
    I have the CAAD12 Ultegra...I love it. Best Alu frame out there, great racing position and comfortable to boot. To be fair I changed the wheels to Zondas straight away, but Aksium's aren't that bad and I run them on my other bike. However....the CAAD uses BB30a and I have had creaking and ticking from the BB. It's even been back to Cannondale and still ticks. Would I buy again? Actually I probably would regardless...it's fantastic :-)