Budget road bike 8 speed / 9 speed for 25mph on flat road

Tony Chopper-Kun
Tony Chopper-Kun Posts: 58
edited June 2016 in Road buying advice
I looking for £300-500 road bike that can ride 23-25mph on flat road, so you can acceleration at your own will rather than pushing too hard under pressure while motorist waiting for you.

is it imperative that you need close spacing , like 11-12-13-14 teeth cogs, at 14 teeth cog, the speed is about 17-20mph.
8 speed get 11-13-15 and any cassette has closer spacing?
and 9 speed get 11-12-14-16 and do i need 13 teeth cog very badly?

28 / 25mm whether it helds a lot.

Does cyclocross bike rides and accelerate as fast as road bike?
Then how about 35mm cyclocross speed tyre for fast riding on road.

Is disc brake advisable to get compared to rim brake?

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Its not the bike that does the speed - its you getting fitter and strong enough to get to 25mph.

£500 would buy a very decent second hand bike if you get the size right thats all you need.

Don't fret on gearing. You do the work. Not the gears.

Cross bike with road tyres will be just as fast as a road bike. Well 99.9% as fast.

Where are you ?
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    A cross bike can get close with road tyres - but then it's useless as a cross bike so just get a road bike unless you want to race cross.
    No you don't need a close ratio cassette but it does feel a bit nicer to ride with a straight through cassette - until you get to a decent hill ! So long as you have something like 39*25 you'll be fine, maybe a 23 or even less if you are strong or live in a flat area.
    Get a rim brake unless you have a lot of money for full hydro and don't mind the added weight and faff, basically get a rim brake.
    35mm tyres will not be as fast - 25 or 28 is a good compromise if you want something a bit fatter for road use - you really don't need to go bigger and a lot of road bikes can't anyway.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • A cross bike can get close with road tyres - but then it's useless as a cross bike so just get a road bike unless you want to race cross.
    No you don't need a close ratio cassette but it does feel a bit nicer to ride with a straight through cassette - until you get to a decent hill ! So long as you have something like 39*25 you'll be fine, maybe a 23 or even less if you are strong or live in a flat area.
    Get a rim brake unless you have a lot of money for full hydro and don't mind the added weight and faff, basically get a rim brake.
    35mm tyres will not be as fast - 25 or 28 is a good compromise if you want something a bit fatter for road use - you really don't need to go bigger and a lot of road bikes can't anyway.

For my cyclocross 9 speed with disc brake under £500, i usually ride 17-20mph on 14 teeth cog, then if i use 12 or 11 teeth, i sometimes reach 25 mph on flat road with 35mm tyre, unless there are open road with no traffic / stop light cuz i catch them up from behind. I still have my full mudguard on 35mm cyclocross speed tyre but if i switch to road tyre, there are space gap between full mudguard and tyre. Switching tyre / buying another wheelset too much a hassle, so i rather get 8 speed road bike for £150-200 second handed rather.

Using road tyre compared to 35mm tyre, doesn't allow me to get any further than 14 teeth cog, like jumping to 12 teeth that easily.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    If you're using the 11 or 12 tooth sprocket on the flat - what would you use on a downhill ? Your thinking is wrong.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Are sure this isn't mikebrew on a wind up?
  • Fenix wrote:
    If you're using the 11 or 12 tooth sprocket on the flat - what would you use on a downhill ? Your thinking is wrong.

is 12 tooth not possible on flat road? then how about 13 tooth cog?
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311

It's Manc33's long lost chinese cousin.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I looking for £300-500 road bike that can ride 23-25mph on flat road, so you can acceleration at your own will rather than pushing too hard under pressure while motorist waiting for you...

I think you will find that accelerating up to 25mph on a flat road is going to be hard even if you are on a decent top end bike. Holding it is then going to be beyond most of the folks on here, in fact in any decent club most riders (as in >90%) would struggle to maintain 25mph on a flat road for any reasonable distance. If you think you can hit and maintain 25mph without pushing too hard then don't buy a new bike, ask David Brailsford for a free one as part of the joining package...
  • darkhairedlord
    Go to bike shop and try some out.
    That way you'll know what gearing works forcyou.
  • darkhairedlord
    trailflow wrote:

Manchurian33
  • darkhairedlord
    This must be fourth thread you've started about 13 tooth sprockets. Just get 11 speed 11-23 with 53/39 up front.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    I looking for £300-500 road bike that can ride 23-25mph on flat road, so you can acceleration at your own will rather than pushing too hard under pressure while motorist waiting for you...

I think you will find that accelerating up to 25mph on a flat road is going to be hard even if you are on a decent top end bike. Holding it is then going to be beyond most of the folks on here, in fact in any decent club most riders (as in >90%) would struggle to maintain 25mph on a flat road for any reasonable distance. If you think you can hit and maintain 25mph without pushing too hard then don't buy a new bike, ask David Brailsford for a free one as part of the joining package...
    Shirley most folk with a bit of training can get under 24 mins for a 10, people even used to do it on steel bikes with no aero bars.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    trailflow wrote:

Manchurian33

:lol::lol:

Definitely a wind-up of some sort...
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    I know this is gibberish and all that, but 25mph is only 40kph - it's hardly Tour-winning speed. That's a 6m36s lap of Regent's Park CCW - which I think we'd agree is flat. Would put you 793rd on Strava. I'd imagine there's a few people on here who can hold 40kph for a while. I mean, I can, and I'm hardly Eddy blinkin' Merckx.

80 rpm on a 52x13
    90 rpm on a 50x14
    90 rpm on a 46x13

So assuming chappie rides a sensibly high cadence and is talking about a cross-bike, he's bang on with a 13-tooth cog.