Help with Specs for 2011 Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL

lpinzon
lpinzon Posts: 18
edited June 2016 in MTB general
Hello Forum.

Just purchased a 2011 Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL which I want to return to its original configuration; Shimano XTR Group Set.

Need help finding the newest model#s for the XTR sets, that will correctly fit my bike. Specifically I am looking for reference numbers on: (a) Brake set, (b) Shift Levers, (c) Derailleurs and (d) Crankset.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Luis

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Looked on the Trek website?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • lpinzon
    Yes, but specs are general, non specific
    Example for Shifters: Shimano XTR, 10 speed. No model number provided.
    (http://archive.trekbikes.com/us/en/2011 ... sl/details)
    Thanks
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    The 2011 bike was probably fitted with the 2010 XTR kit - M980 / M985.
    The group set came in 2 versions though - trail and race.

Chainset - FC-M985
    Shifters - SL-M980
    Brakes - BR-M985
    Rear Mech - RD-M980
    Front Mech - FD-M985
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • lpinzon
    Thanks JBA.
    WIl the chainset be a straight forward assembly, or will it required a special attachment?
    Regards
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    If you buy a new chain set it will come with the bottom bracket.

You say you want to return the bike to standard. What kit is on it at present?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • lpinzon
    It has a Truvativ XX Carbon (38T/26T).
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    It had an XTR Race 28/42t chainset, XTR M985 Race brakes, XTR M980 shifters, M980 SGS rear mech and low rise front mech.

The chainset will need a new bottom bracket - you will get a threaded one, but you need a BB95 bottom bracket for the Top Fuel. I use Rulla Bearings for mine, you should be able to re-use the plastic sleeve you currently have, you just need a bearing without the 'lip' that SRAM ones do.

I have to ask though... why? I have some well used M985 brakes to sell if they're of interest. They were off my 2011 Top Fuel 9.9 SSL! Great bike, liked mine very much. I'd fit M9000 to it though if you want to change.

5797450312_e8db65f5a6_z.jpg
  • lpinzon
    Thanks Njee20. Great Information. Your bike looks awesome!.
    I just purchased my bike last week. I will be the third owner. Have not yet received it, but it is ready for new components. It is currently fitted with XT. I am not a pro, not am i planning to professionally race it, but thought that bringing to its original configuration would be nice. I love how it looks on the 2011 catalog. I might be incorrect on investing on XTR if I am not going to race it. As a Top Fuel 9.9 rider, I would love to hear your opinion about returning to XTR or keeping XT. I might be interested on the Brakes. Could you share some pictures and price?. Also looking for a recommendation on confortables saddles and tires (that match the colors of the bike). Like your, could you let me know what types are you using?. Thanks again.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    It came with a Bontrager Evoke Carbon saddle, which i find fantastically comfortable. I swapped it onto my next bike when I broke the Top Fuel.

If you want XTR, and can afford it, then go nuts. I wouldn't change perfectly functional XT for second hand XTR though, and that's not a current group set anymore, I'd just stick with what you have until it wears out. You may find you'd prefer 1x11 or whatever (I do, and ran the Top Fuel 1x10 as you can see).

Tyres are personal, it came with Bontrager XR0s, which are useless if someone sneezes on the trail. I like Schwalbe, as you can see above I had Rocket Rons on there, which are my go to tyre. Bit fragile if you have a lot of rocks though.
  • lpinzon
    Thanks Njee20. Great recommendations. Sincerely appreciate it.