Cube Stereo HPC 160 Carbon

Don B
Don B Posts: 122
edited June 2016 in Your mountain bikes
Picked this up after Christmas to replace a hardtail that I sold and to step up my MTBing. Since buying it, I've been looking for any excuse to get out on it, has me hooked.

After a frustrating issue with the reverb stealth post (was never bled and stuck when I took the bike out first), I changed over the 2x10 SRAM X0 groupset to a 1x11 SRAM GX (with XT cassette) setup, possibly a downgrade in quality, but the difference is amazing, so simple and the GX kit looks like good stuff...bit more plastic bits than the X0, but I don't mind.

Spec is great, and I picked it up at a discount as it'd a 2015 model..as far as I can tell there's not a big difference between the 15 and 16 models.

Full carbon frame, including rear triangle and swingarm
Rockshox Pike RC 160mm
DT Swiss 2.7 wheel set
Hans Dampf Trail Star and Pace Star
Rockshox Reverb Stealth 125mm
RaceFace Turbine stem, bars, cranks
SRAM Guide R brake set
(Now) SRAM GX 1x11 with XT 11-42 which works with the non XD driver body.
Superstar Components 32t Oval front chainring

Gearing is absolutely spot on and I've not been left wanting another gear at either end that I can remember. I don't miss the front mech at all

20160606_104309_zpspgptejcv.jpg

20160606_104517_zpsfsocxoql.jpg

20160606_104424_zps87m8i8mz.jpg

Comments

• Don B
    Getting lots of use thankfully, early morning spin on Saturday, and a quick snap :)

20160611_074728-01_zps6hhbmlvo.jpg
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Nice motor, I do like the E46's.
  • Don B
    Ha thanks, have it near 10 years, t'is a lovely old bus.. reckon the bike on the roof triples the value of the car :D

Purchased a new Specialized Body Geometry saddle so will test on Saturday. The current SDG saddle is minimalist and with a good amount of climbing last weekend, the saddle got quite uncomfortable.
  • dirkpitt74
    dirkpitt74 Posts: 518
    A riding buddy has the same bike - cracking bit of kit!
  • Don B
    Yes, really getting on great with it I have to say.

Has he kept with the 2x10 setup? The change to 1x11 has transformed it for me, never a problem getting the right gear now compared to before
  • dirkpitt74
    dirkpitt74 Posts: 518
    Yeah he's kept the 2x10 set up at the moment.
  • Don B
    After 2 pinch flats in quick succession yesterday, I've decided I've gotta go tubeless.

Can't find any info on the DT Swiss EM2.7 wheelset though.

Anyone know if the standard Stans kit will work?
  • Don B
    So got on to DT Swiss and turns out they're the same as their E512 Rims, Enduro jobs. Will update when I sort it
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Just stick two layers of yellow tape around, poke a tubeless valve through, lob some sealant into the tyres and get them inflated. It really isn't rocket science.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Don B
    Just stick two layers of yellow tape around, poke a tubeless valve through, lob some sealant into the tyres and get them inflated. It really isn't rocket science.
    Yeah I'm learning that as I go, easy when you know how
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Get some Stans 25mm yellow tape, wind it round twice being very, very careful to make sure that all the air bubbles are pushed out, poke a valve through, pop the tyres on and off you go. You'll be so amazed at how well it goes up first time that you'll regret not putting the sealant in (but it's worth checking it's pretty much airtight first). But then pop a bit of bead off, throw some sealant in, blow them back up again, do the sealant shuffle (wave them around in every direction) and Bob's your Auntie's live in lover!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Don B
    Gotcha, have all the bits ordered and on the way, so will give it a go!