Avid Elixir's locked on

dirkpitt74
dirkpitt74 Posts: 518
edited July 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Why is it the time you go out without tools you have a mechanical......

Took my lad out for a quick ride last night. Not long into it my rear brake pretty much locked on. It felt a bit draggy at the start but I put it down to not being used for a couple of weeks.

Lever feels pretty solid.

Don't know what's caused it but will have a look tonight hoping cleaning and levering pads/pistons might sort it.

What's best to clean around seals with? I don't think I have any fluid kicking around, can I use general brake cleaner?

If not will order a kit and give them a bleed.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Only cycle specific cleaner or alcohol.

Avid brakes seem to have an issue with fluid expansion jamming on brakes when it gets hotter, you could 'burp' a little (very little) fluid out if that seems to be the issue.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dirkpitt74
    Cheers Rookie.
    I have some bike specific brake cleaner so will try a bit of that.
  • iwilldoit
    iwilldoit Posts: 710
    The Rookie wrote:
    Only cycle specific cleaner or alcohol.

Avid brakes seem to have an issue with fluid expansion jamming on brakes when it gets hotter, you could 'burp' a little (very little) fluid out if that seems to be the issue.

That's funny a friend rang me up last night to say his back brake was locked on, I forgot he had Avids so I was trying to explain things to him on the phone as he had Shimano, he seemed a little clueless so I went for a look and then I understood why he didn't understand what I was going on about :D

Yes let a little fluid out and bingo all is well, I think I prefer Shimano brakes 8)
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    It's a common problem with Elixir brakes. A spell of hot weather and the fluid expands and locks the brakes on.
    As mentioned above, bleed a drop of fluid off and all should be well.

I really liked my Elixir brakes - great feel and action - but the lock on problem became a PITA so I swapped to Shimano XT and they have so far proved trouble-free.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • dirkpitt74
    Thanks chaps.
    To bleed a bit off is it a case of just cracking the bleed port and letting the calliper return on its own and push the fluid out or do I need to help a bit and lever the pads apart?
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    DirkPitt74 wrote:
    Thanks chaps.
    To bleed a bit off is it a case of just cracking the bleed port and letting the calliper return on its own and push the fluid out or do I need to help a bit and lever the pads apart?

Just loosen the screw at the bleed port on the top (by the brake lever). If no fluid comes out by itself, gently squeeze the lever just a fraction till you see a small amount come out. Wipe away with a paper towel, close the port by tightening the screw again and test. As long as the calipers arent stuck there is no need to do anything at the bottom end.
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    I had this issue with my Elixir 1's. I took out the bleed screw on the caliper and a little fluid leaked out then they worked fine.
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • Just had the same problem with both brakes - five minutes in the shade and they worked again - two minutes in the sun and they locked.
    I have bled the brakes - lots of air in the system. No idea if any difference as not hot now
  • dirkpitt74
    I ended up bleeding mine in the end.
    Seem OK, could probably do with another bleed though as still a bit soft.