I'm after some budget TT gains

daddy0
daddy0 Posts: 686
edited June 2016 in Road buying advice
I'm after some TT gains on the cheap. It'd be useful if what I buy can be used in crits / road races too.
Anyone got any suggestions for any of the following?

Clip on aero bars - best deal seems to be £30 from Planet X?
Aero helmet - probably not a pointy one, but a visor would be nice
Speedsuit
Wheels - something deep and carbon
Shoes, or maybe just shoe covers

Cheers!

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Improved fitness can be had fairly cheaply?
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Imposter wrote:
    Improved fitness can be had fairly cheaply?

Then, again, it could be said, it's the most expensive upgrade ^ ^
    Same for TT position - effort of stretching, if not yoga, etc
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    Have a look at this video, which tests most of those.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/videos/c ... -bang-buck

I would start with clip on aerobars and sort your position before you do anything else though - that isn't tested!
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,789
    How about the Galibier Aerosuit for 84 quid?
    http://galibier.cc/product/rapide/
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Shaved those hams yet? That's free if you borrow the other halves razor, just saying.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Deda Parabolica a good shout for aerobars as they have a reasonable amount of adjustment and arm rests, I like the ones with the 'bullhorn' style end. Carnac Aero helmet (PX had them on for £25 last week), fake Castelli skinsuit off Aliexpress and Velotoze. Shave your pins.
    Don't worry about wheels.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Clip on aero bars - best deal seems to be £30 from Planet X?
    Aero helmet - Visors dont test very well from what I've seen -
    Speedsuit - expensive but just make sure its tight.
    Wheels - something deep and carbon - very expensive
    Shoes, or maybe just shoe covers - you can get aero shoe covers off ebay for £3.

The vast improvement is the tri bars and you're position on them. It's also one of the cheapest.
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Tri bars and wear a cycling cap instead of a mushroom helmet.

For dual use then a skinsuit, cheap deep carbon wheels (planet x tubs or CT45 or similar).

To get under the hour I did pic up a planet x stealth frameset and aero bars for not much. Re-used wheels and some running kit to get a pretty god TT bike for a few hundred.
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    Head the way the wind blows thats free ;-)
  • daddy0
    Thanks for all the replies guys. I already adhere to rule 33, I've slammed my stem, and as fit as I can be on the restricted amount of time I have to train, so just after things I can buy really.

The Galibier Aerosuit is exactly the sort of thing I am after, thanks for that link MrB123. I'm 178cm tall and around 73kgs, so I'm guessing medium size for me?

Thanks trek_dan for the Velotoze pointer. I already saw the Carnac helmet, looks like good value, but they only had in nasty colour, has to be black for me! Will keep an eye on the stock situation for a week or so. Have you got a link for that fake Castelli skinsuit?

I need a new set of race wheels anyway, so thinking about the Planet X 60/60 set for £600, but they're out of stock at the moment. So anyone got any other suggestions for something similar?

Alan Sherman - that's pretty much what I want to do too.
  • daddy0
    Head the way the wind blows thats free ;-)

Haha - got close to going under the hour on my 25 mile commute a couple of times with the help of the wind. I would've gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for those pesky kids, err I mean pesky traffic.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    Only thing worth pointing out is that "sorting your position" with aero bars doesn't just mean slamming your stem. It means getting aero, ie flat back small frontal area and maybe push your saddle forward and up to steepen the seatpost and open up your hip angle.
    There are different requirements for TT compared with road, unless you're doing endurance you don't need to be comfortable for long periods of time and there is a balance between power and aero. All of which is free beyond the initial outlay of the bars. There is an excellent TT position thread on this site.
  • daddy0
    super_davo wrote:
    Only thing worth pointing out is that "sorting your position" with aero bars doesn't just mean slamming your stem. It means getting aero, ie flat back small frontal area and maybe push your saddle forward and up to steepen the seatpost and open up your hip angle.
    There are different requirements for TT compared with road, unless you're doing endurance you don't need to be comfortable for long periods of time and there is a balance between power and aero. All of which is free beyond the initial outlay of the bars. There is an excellent TT position thread on this site.

Sure. I kinda meant that my position isn't too bad already. I already ride with my arms out front, body pretty low and shoulders tucked in as much as is comfortable. Some aero bars will certainly make things more comfy and let me work on the position further. Will check out the thread, got a link to It? Ta!
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    fake Castelli skinsuit off Aliexpress

No, just ,no. :twisted:
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    I also paid for coaching (instead of a pointy hat).
    A 58:18 was the outcome!

Check out time trialling forum for people selling bikes. Having a dedicated bike helps. I used mine on the turbo over the winter to get used to the position.

I should probably sell mine as it's been in the loft for 4 years :(
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Daddy0 wrote:
    Have you got a link for that fake Castelli skinsuit?
    Aliexpress is an app you install on your phone which allows you to purchase 'replica' items direct from China. My mate has a 'replica' skinsuit that was £18 and apart from the cut not being as 100% perfect its difficult to tell the difference. Not that I condone that sort of thing you understand.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    The difference between a good and bad skinsuit is massive. If you go cheap and cut corners it will reflect in your results.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • daddy0
    Grill wrote:
    The difference between a good and bad skinsuit is massive. If you go cheap and cut corners it will reflect in your results.

I appreciate that. Have you got a suggestion of a good aerosuit? What do you think of the Galibier one?
    http://galibier.cc/product/rapide/
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I think it's too much compromise for the money. You can get a second hand Castelli BP2 or 3 for that money and they'll both be way faster.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg