Cleaning products and maintenance

Ross Gardner
Ross Gardner Posts: 230
edited June 2016 in MTB general
It's time for me to get ready for cleaning. I have looked around at what bike-specific cleaning products are out there:

Disc brake cleaner
Anti-corrosion spray
Reproofing (for waterproofs)
Greaser
De-greaser
Lubes (various, e.g. suspension)

Obviously there are two types of bike maintenance:

-a labour of love
-cost effective

I'm the latter (no offense). All this stuff used after every single ride? I hope not. I'm guessing there would be recommendations to find somewhere that would do this for me (like a dog groomer). That's a hassle if I want to have my bike every day, so no thank you. So what do you guys use?

Comments

• mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    bucket of warm water with a squirt of washing up liquid, and a cheap pack of dish washing sponges for 99% of cleaning.

Disks generally keep themselves clean unless you get any grease/lube on them. Avoid getting anything greasy on the disks.
    Also try and avoid dripping too much water down suspension stantions, and avoid jet washers, a good old fashioned small sponge is ideal as you are not drenching areas you dont want to with excess water/greasy detergent.

Keeping the chain and cogs clean is worthwhile as everything will run smoother, but you don't really need to degrease the chain, just scrub the crud off it so it looks clean and put some chain lube on it.

Anything else I'd just get on a need to get basis.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Always remember to use degreaser before re-greasing.
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Just to add a cheap bike brush set is handy, for cleaning in between sprockets, I use one of these, dirt cheap so the bristles don't last forever, but handy

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00H8KWJO0/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1465240823&sr=8-3&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=bike+brush&dpPl=1&dpID=41VjlhvUSfL&ref=plSrch
  • Ross Gardner
    mattyfez wrote:
    Keeping the chain and cogs clean is worthwhile as everything will run smoother, but you don't really need to degrease the chain, just scrub the crud off it so it looks clean and put some chain lube on it.
    Always remember to use degreaser before re-greasing.

Contradicting.
  • StinkinHippy
    StinkinHippy Posts: 160
    Plain water and the muc-off bike cleaning brushes. Every few rides or when it gets particularly caked in mud in the winter.

The poundshop version of muc off spray is pretty decent, but I ran out of that couple months back and haven't really found myself missing it. Maybe when winter comes round again :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Bucket of water and a sponge. I lube the chain with squirt so no degreaser needed there. Stanchions get a quick/light wipe with fork oil once dry.

Use car shampoo maybe once every 3-4 months for a degrease clean of the parts that shouldn't have grease on at all (such as frame). Quick smear of vaseline in steel bolt heads occasionally to prevent them going rusty.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    @mattyfez "Our products will enhance your experience to unparalleled inspiration."
    Brilliant.
    Many happy trails!
  • Ross Gardner
    The Rookie wrote:
    Bucket of water and a sponge.

Just water and sponge, or soap as well?

The Rookie wrote:
    I lube the chain with squirt so no degreaser needed there.

and
    The Rookie wrote:
    Stanchions get a quick/light wipe with fork oil once dry.

After every ride?

Which fork oil? I found these sprays:

http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/s ... sion-spray

http://www.juicelubes.co.uk/fork-juice.html
    The Rookie wrote:
    Quick smear of vaseline in steel bolt heads occasionally to prevent them going rusty.

Ball park, how often is occasionally?
  • Rightly or wrongly, this is my routine after most wknd outings...

Hose down with Adams Ale to rid most debris.
    Degreaser spray to drivetrain, wait then scrub with stiff brush.
    Liberal coating of muc-off bike cleaner
    Clean with soft brush.
    Rinse with hose.
    Dry chain.
    Hand dry most of frame.
    Bounce bike & spin wheels to rid moisture
    Ptfe based spray to forks, Front mech, rear mech
    Light wipe of ptfe to frame.
    lube chain (dry)
    admire.