Camera fault help

bobbygloss
bobbygloss Posts: 317
edited June 2016 in Commuting chat
Can anyone help diagnose a camera fault?
It's an Olympus mu 790 compact digital camera, a few years old, almost always used in full auto mode. Worked fine for ages, but now it's started over-exposing light areas and they sag, see pic.
PC249383_zps0hvgyr3d.jpg
I can get round it by setting the exposure compensation to -0.7, but it doesn't always work especially with the flash.

Comments

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    are you joking - that is awesome
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Wot he said. Absolutely brilliant. Go out now and take a load. Come back and post them. Best pics I've seen in years.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • bobbygloss
    I'm not joking! This one was ok, but unintended. All the white area has dragged down. I'll find some others,
  • bobbygloss
    This shows it better.
    P4299634_zpsgyt2trza.jpg

same photo taken again with exposure compensation -0.7 (I don't know what that means, but it looks darker)
    1%20drill%20bit%20and%20caliper_zpsqmic38ku.jpg
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My wife's Olympus started doing exactly that. At first I thought it was the LCD screen, but downloading the images to the PC they were the same. Never bothered enquiring about the posibility of having it fixed, I just assumed it would cost close to that of a new, and hopefully better camera.
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    Is there some sort of factory reset option on the menu? Perhaps some internal setting has gotten mangled? I'd copy off anything you want to keep before doing that just in case it decides to delete all the pictures. ;)

If not new camera is probably the cheapest way to go as others have said.
  • bobbygloss
    I've tried a "restore default settings", but no change. Boo. Thanks all, anyway.
    I'd still be interested to know how it happens, if anyone has any ideas? I can understand over-exposing, but not the sagging or the green edges.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,768
    Obviously a software/metering issue, exacerbated by shooting in high contrast situations.
    Does it still happen with -0.3 exposure? If not, use that as it will be barely noticable.
    FWIW, the vernier photo looks okay at -0.7.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • NameTaken
    NameTaken Posts: 45
    Thats a strange effect and I doubt that it is just down to metering.
    I don't know that camera, but I'd be inclined to look at the detailed settings - colour, intensity, noise reduction and iso settings and do some playing in manual mode.
    You should be able to narrow the cause down.