Road tyres on a MTB?

pabotto
pabotto Posts: 9
edited June 2016 in Commuting general
Hi
I have a 2012 Giant Revel 1 with fork lockout. I currently have hybrid tyres on as my commute used to be half track, half road, I have found a new road route which is 15 minutes faster so no longer need much tyre grip. Could I put road tyres on my bike or will they not fit? Can you get wider road tyres?
Sorry if this is obvious.

Thsnks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What wheel size?

Whatever size though, yes you can get road bike style tyres for it, but 27.5 is most restrictive of choice. Road tyres go up to about 37mm, but at 26" there are only a few true road bike style tyres then you get into MTB slicks which tend to have a thicker tread, not necessarily bad news as mine (26x1.5") lasted over 4000 miles with just two visits from the PF, neither of which stopped me on the road.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,149
    I've got Geax Streetrunners on my commuter bike (an old 26" MTB I've converted to singlespeed). I'm running the 1.5" version at the moment but I've used 1.25" in the past.
    Main reason for getting them was that they were cheap, but they've done over 3500 miles and are still going.

1.5" are fine for the odd gravel track/bridleway too.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,845
    Schwalbe Kojaks are well regarded, pretty sure there is a 26er and 29er size, but not so sure about 27.5er (literally just seen there is according to link below).

Some promo prices at http://nextdaytyres.co.uk/search.aspx/SCHWALBE for at least some Kojak models.;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Schwalbe City Jet 26 x 1.5" are excellent tyres IME. I have used them on my old MTB for years, they are cheap and don't seem that much slower than 700c road tyres.

I bought Schwalbe AV12A 1-1.5" tubes (Schraeder, SV12A is Presta equivalent).
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • The Rookie
    CJs are good value, but I've found the slightly dearer tyres give a better ride and sprightlier feel.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Simon E wrote:
    Schwalbe City Jet 26 x 1.5" are excellent tyres IME. I have used them on my old MTB for years, they are cheap and don't seem that much slower than 700c road tyres.

I bought Schwalbe AV12A 1-1.5" tubes (Schraeder, SV12A is Presta equivalent).
    I run city jets on my drop bar conversion, over my 10 mile commute its maybe 2-3 mins slower than my road bike commuter but it does weigh a fair amount more .
    FCN 3/5/9
  • The Rookie
    Some things once seen can't be unseen......arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Also look at Michellin Country Rock - 560g for a 1.75" - not AS slick as the city jet, but still fastrolling and a bit more forgiving.
    www.ribblecycles.co.uk/michelin-country ... -michelin/
  • perfectmark
    perfectmark Posts: 117
    I used to use Continental GatorSkins on my MTB before I switched to a road bike. They were the most road bike like tyre I could find for the MTB.
  • Paul0975
    Paul0975 Posts: 14
    Schwalbe land cruisers have a constant centre tread for smooth road ridng, andsome nobbles for the dirt.

They are a good compromise as long as you don't expect the lightness of a proper road tyre, or mud plug-ability of a proper MTB tyre.