which is important : money or other moral fixed rule

Tony Chopper-Kun
Tony Chopper-Kun Posts: 58
edited June 2016 in Commuting general
using cheap fast road bike under £100 , with average speed as fast as 15mph,

commuting risks crashing with car in rush hour, or anytime,

if your bike is damage , you lose money.
and no one will help you, i think

many people who ride fast, using such expensive bike to go to work / anywhere, if they are damaged, then they lost grand of money

and employer aren't to give you any mercy if you are late to work

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Eh? Were you trying to make a point?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Eh? Were you trying to make a point?

if you using cheap bike , you don't have to risk money loss and abuse other bad motorist as much as you wanted. and escape from rush hour since car cannot move

am i missing something? does getting bike which costs more worth being a lot safer in cycling?
  • The Rookie
    I still can't really see a question.

As per your other thread, up to a point spending more will make you safer by being faster
    a more expensive bike will be
    1/ Lighter so accelerate faster
    2/ Have lower frictional losses (bearings etc) so accelerate faster and have a higher top speed
    3/ Better gearing with faster shifts and possible reduced ratio gaps allowing more efficient pedalling
    4/ Better tyres with lower rolling resistance allowing higher speeds

A more aerodynamic bike will always have a higher top speed than a less aerodynamic bike, so generally a Road bike is faster on road than a Hybrid which is faster than an MTB, although changes to the MTB or Hybrid can move it back much closer to the road bike. Noting that one of the biggest factors in that is tyres which create aerodynamic drag that is much higher than most would expect.

Of those 1 is the most important, a typical cheap bike weighs 15-16Kg, worse for some of the abomination 'mountain bikes' which can be up to 20Kg, by comparison my current Hybrid is 9Kg and is about to be reframed and shed about another 0.5Kg or so.

Morals don't make you faster, they just make you look less of a jerk while doing so!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    I still can't really see a question.

As per your other thread, up to a point spending more will make you safer by being faster
    a more expensive bike will be
    1/ Lighter so accelerate faster
    2/ Have lower frictional losses (bearings etc) so accelerate faster and have a higher top speed
    3/ Better gearing with faster shifts and possible reduced ratio gaps allowing more efficient pedalling
    4/ Better tyres with lower rolling resistance allowing higher speeds

A more aerodynamic bike will always have a higher top speed than a less aerodynamic bike, so generally a Road bike is faster on road than a Hybrid which is faster than an MTB, although changes to the MTB or Hybrid can move it back much closer to the road bike. Noting that one of the biggest factors in that is tyres which create aerodynamic drag that is much higher than most would expect.

Of those 1 is the most important, a typical cheap bike weighs 15-16Kg, worse for some of the abomination 'mountain bikes' which can be up to 20Kg, by comparison my current Hybrid is 9Kg and is about to be reframed and shed about another 0.5Kg or so.

Morals don't make you faster, they just make you look less of a jerk while doing so!

so far, i using under £100 road bike (7 speed), it is rarely to use 13-11 teeth on flat road on normal riding, highest gear cog has 14 teeth, and it has similar same gear spacing as 9 speed. 25mm tyre and inflated pressure. Its weight 11.7kg but body weight is usually high and not cycling that regularly a lot, like 1hr everyday in 15mph average speed or less.

I don't know why cheap bike tends to taking commuting as reckless as possible, like overtake 2 lanes of cars from the outside and get in the front on time / or merge in similar speed as the car while traffic light turned green. You rather not waiting behind motorist start moving because of traffic / zebra cross/ pedestrian making fault, just instead overtake a whole completely, if you don't overtake them, then you will slow down later on, like a sandwich effect stacking together ahead.

With cheap helmet / cheap cycling clothes (£18 better than £70-80 for a set), cheap decent glasses, etc, It is almost that is less risky than other people riding £750 road bike or £300 road bike, but the point is that 25mph isn't possible for 7 speed, i guess it will be 20mph, or 22/23mph if cadence is very high. Does 5 mph make a lot of difference on riding on traffic that need to be fast. I think that faster cyclist don't consider jerk on riding on whole lane rather than slow cyclist, but does it need to be 25mph? Does it worth extra money on fast road bike that can do 25mph easily compared to 7 speed road bike?

other people who has £300-500 will risk heavy loss due to accident caused pedestrian and motorist.
  • The Rookie
    My life would count for more than the value of the bike when it comes to riding safely, so its probably just the mindset of the people buying cheap bikes.

No reason as such why a 7 speed can't go as fast as a 9 speed bike......top speed is mostly due to aero drag.