Should drivers be fined for going too close to cyclists?

talius
talius Posts: 282
edited June 2016 in Commuting chat
http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/news ... 1.display/

Not entirely sure it would make any practical difference, but I guess it would send the right signals
Merckx EMX 5
Ribble 7005 Audax / Campag Centaur

RIP - Scott Speedster S10

Comments

• SME
    SME Posts: 348
    I think this was discussed recently on here somewhere, at least the 'distance' part (maybe not the fines).

It may seem a great idea to keep cyclists safe, but on some roads I've used it would be an impossibility, and it would just be another rule that couldn't be policed, like using a mobile phone while driving.

Maybe word would get around where a cyclist was involved in an accident and the driver was at fault and fined, but would this news/knowledge really deter some drivers?
  • T C
    T C Posts: 12
    I think we should put the drivers on a bike and let the cyclist drive past them with inches to spare to see how it feels.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    An American TV show did this, they put the drivers onto exercise bike machines (so they couldn't fall off) and drove the same type of vehicle the drivers drove past them at a moderate speed and fairly close, in all cases their response was pretty much 'F*** that was scary and felt dangerous'...... The law is available now to prosecute for close passing (Driving without due care and attention), but there simply aren't the Police out there to do it, so like enforcing mobile phone and ASL's it would be another that was ineffective.

The only benefit of a fixed distance requirement is that prosecutions would be easier.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Utter waste of time, we have plenty of laws which in theory should help us but they are never enforced. How about raise the fine for mobile phone use to £800, copper keeps £200, force gets £200 and the gov gets £400.

Of course this is 'total war on the motorist' screams the daily mail
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • Utter waste of time, we have plenty of laws which in theory should help us but they are never enforced. How about raise the fine for mobile phone use to £800, copper keeps £200, force gets £200 and the gov gets £400.

Of course this is 'total war on the motorist' screams the daily mail

But then the police would be focused on getting revenue rather than catching "proper criminals"... oh hang on......
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Only two lorries and a van for me today, that's a really good day.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.