Short sleeved wind proof jersey

bigmul
bigmul Posts: 208
edited June 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi - after riding today in a long sleeved wind blocker top in hot conditions I'm after a short sleeved version I can use with arm warmers and adapt etc. I'm not a brand snob, in fact was using DHB wind blocker top today, realise the Castelli Perfetto is supposed to be the dogs, but have been looking at the Sportful Fiandre short sleeved jacket and the Gore Oxygen Windstopper jersey.

Sportful less then £60 but no pockets so need a jersey underneath, Gore just over £70 but regular jersey. Thoughts on both or something different? I have some Soortful no rain arm warmers already, looking for something that will do everything!

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,789
    I have the Gore one and it is excellent. Perfect for those cooler days when you set off with arm warmers but it might warm up later. Will also keep off a bit of drizzle, though I'm sure not to the extent of some of the proper rain jerseys such as the Perfetto.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Perfetto is the dogs, though I've yet to test it in proper rain
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I have the Gore Oxygen it's an excellent jersey for all-day rides - I've started off early morning at 10 degrees and arm-warmers and it's reached mid-20s in the afternoon and I've not cooked - has 6 pockets too, but I wouldn't consider it suitable for showers as the back is a lighter, mesh fabric.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    it's worth checking Bender's blog, a fair few reviews of such tops there
    https://roubaixcycling.cc/
  • timmyotool
    timmyotool Posts: 172
    I have both the Fiandre (long sleeve) and Gore oxygen (short sleeve)

The fiandre is much more of an emergency jacket, you'd be very warm wearing it over a jersey.
    I tend to use it as a backup in wet weather, or for commuting.

For your purposes, again I'd expect the perfetto to be too warm, as are most "rainproof" jerseys.

I do think the oxygen would be a good bet as it's great in a wide range of temperatures, if you unzip, it's not much warmer than a summer jersey.

If you are looking for a hot weather jersey, I'd probably be looking at a gillet/summer jersey combo, or something like this, which gets good reviews.
    https://www.merlincycles.com/castelli-raffica-cycling-jersey-75796.html?utm_campaign=googlebase-GB&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=shopping&utm_term=Bikes+%26+Frames&ucpo=17504&gclid=CJiM-ezrkc0CFQkq0wodILwDUg
  • bigmul
    Thanks for input. I found the Gore Oxygen at Winstanleys for a low price (in XL only mind) so will give it a go. Cheers
  • mostly
    mostly Posts: 113
    I got the raffica from merlin and its pretty good, a little too warm for for the last day or two ( 20+) otherwise fits the bill for a summer wind proof. I keep a fiandre with me incase of rain.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    mostly wrote:
    I got the raffica from merlin and its pretty good, a little too warm for for the last day or two ( 20+) otherwise fits the bill for a summer wind proof. I keep a fiandre with me incase of rain.
    ^This. Although that's then 2 new tops. If you're watching the pennies then maybe look at the Endura Classics jersey. Comes with arm warmers and both Evans and Sigma Sport had them on at decent discounts recently.
    http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Endura ... rmers/738G
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • skyblueamateur
    skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498
    Rather then a new specific top would a gilet not be a better shout? A lot more versatile.
  • bigmul
    Rather then a new specific top would a gilet not be a better shout? A lot more versatile.

I have a decent gilet already, however found the tops of the arms getting cold - as silly as it sounds I think I want a gilet with short sleeves...hence looking at this type of jersey
  • bianchi_dave
    bianchi_dave Posts: 932
    mostly wrote:

Another vote for the Raffica. Just bought one last week and wore it on Sat, when it was quite warm for up here (away from the north sea coast at least). Was great in the cooler wind, and once it inland seemed to wick well on the big hill with the sun on my back. Also very good on the fast descent - probably best jersey I've ever bought, and as said, half price at Merlin.
    Scott Foil RC
    Scott Addict RC
    Trek Emonda