Criterium du Dauphine 2016 Prologue **spoilers**

Comments

• jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    Did anybody else think Porte was looking a bit hefty? Relatively speaking obviously, he's hardly obese!
  • Entertaining

Bert & Titchie Richie both turned up ready to fight this one. Jolly good jolly good

Pinot and Aru #disappoint
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    I love the way Contador rides. Agressive and with heart. i hope he hasnt peaked too soon for the TDF
  • jam1e wrote:
    Did anybody else think Porte was looking a bit hefty? Relatively speaking obviously, he's hardly obese!

He's so titchie that 1 or 2kg extra shows on him more than most. He was the leanest ever last year, but all the signs are that they take things a little easier at BMC
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    jam1e wrote:

He's so titchie that 1 or 2kg extra shows on him more than most. He was the leanest ever last year, but all the signs are that they take things a little easier at BMC

I thought he looked a tad heavier but healthier.

Contador I thought looked strong not on the bike just strong. less gaunt but then theyll all be cobblered by the end of July.

Portes never going to win the tour anyway so why not take it a smidge easier.
  • robnewcastle
    robnewcastle Posts: 241
    jam1e wrote:

I thought he looked a tad heavier but healthier.

Contador I thought looked strong not on the bike just strong. less gaunt but then theyll all be cobblered by the end of July.

Portes never going to win the tour anyway so why not take it a smidge easier.

I agree Contador looked like a machine. I think he's hell bent on winning the tour this year, will be tough to beat. Probably his last chance I'd say. Sky's team strength and Froomes TT ability will obviously cause him great concern.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,659
    Contador is no slouch in TTs or prologues.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    It's kind of a reversal of this

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/criter ... 1/results/

Cool, if slightly ridiculous way to start a stage race.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099

Pinot and Aru #disappoint

Rightly or wrongly I was surprised by Aru. Pinot though was, imo, exactly as expected given the length and steepness of the hill.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Is Aru down to lead Astana at the Tour?
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Gweeds wrote:
    Is Aru down to lead Astana at the Tour?

Yep, which means Aru needs to do well here, otherwise Mr Nibbles will be pushing for co-leadership at the big 'un
  • gweeds
    It'll have to be some improvement in a month then. Especially as the other contenders are clearly firing
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Looks like my PTP is out the window already!
    But Contador brought it back for the GC...
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    5 weeks till the last week of the tour is quite a long time if your short of form IMO, that said do many actually consider Aru a GT contender? i personally think he is more likely to bag a stage win but not be good enough across thew three weeks to podium gc
  • gweeds
    Apart from the GT he's already won?....
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,393
    If I heard correctly, I think the commentators suggested Aru has just overcome a bout of illness which might help explain his performance.

Contador has clearly prepared well - he did look very strong.
  • thchris1958
    thchris1958 Posts: 117
    jam1e wrote:
    I quite fancied henao for the win today - shows what I know.

he was still in Colombia and only flew to Europe Wednesday.
  • curium
    curium Posts: 815
    Good to see Contador firing. I hope that this means they'll be some exciting attacking from him.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Dan Martin ‏@DanMartin86 · 6h6 hours ago

Happy to take home the Martin Cup. As teammates I am officially unbeaten vs @tonymartin85 I can only hope to continue this run #iwish

:)
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,160
    Dan Martin ‏@DanMartin86 · 6h6 hours ago

Happy to take home the Martin Cup. As teammates I am officially unbeaten vs @tonymartin85 I can only hope to continue this run #iwish

:)

He's a good lad Dan.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    To sum it up: Contador does his thing, Aru waiting for "provisions".
    left the forum March 2023
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    5 weeks till the last week of the tour is quite a long time if your short of form IMO, that said do many actually consider Aru a GT contender? i personally think he is more likely to bag a stage win but not be good enough across thew three weeks to podium gc

I'd have him as one of the top 5 grand tour riders around, possibly Nibali just above him on the strength of wins in the bag but Astana must rate Aru as more likely. Possibly they feel they have seen Nibali at his best and it's a tiny bit short of Froome et al whereas Aru might still be improving and he wouldn't have to improve that much.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Looks like at last we might have a Tour with 4 or even 5 genuine contenders.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Milton50 wrote:
    Looks like at last we might have a Tour with 4 or even 5 genuine contenders.

Sounds familiar - isn't that what we were all saying last year? :)

And 2014 to an extent :D
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Yep! :)
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    Gweeds wrote:
    Apart from the GT he's already won?....
    ok i will rephrase it, tour de france contender, TdF is another level to Veulta and giro
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,659
    CkSaVcmUoAA-kml.jpg:large

Tip - when you need to fart, it's much easier when you stand up.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    That is a serious pain face
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    WTF is he wearing?
    left the forum March 2023
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Skinsuit? It has technology involved, so probably not for your interest