Long drop calipers

chaymck
chaymck Posts: 157
edited June 2016 in Workshop
Hi.

I have a shimano 105 5800 groupset which I'm moving to a frame which requires long drop brake calipers.

I'm a little confused over the pull ratios.

Can I fit trp957 calipers? Or shimano 650?

Thanks. :?:

Comments

• REDUTOPIA
    REDUTOPIA Posts: 71
    even if you come down fully the brake pads?
  • chaymck
    Assume so. Frame manufacturer states long drop required. I'm getting the frame this week.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Shimano 650 is Ultegra-level and would better match the cable-pull ratio of your Shimano levers
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    REDUTOPIA wrote:
    even if you come down fully the brake pads?
    Yes. I tried to fit 105 calipers on my 2013 Synapse, and they wouldn't reach the brake surface. Ended up with the 650 (or was it 652) calipers instead
  • chaymck
    Many thanks. Shame they are only available in silver.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    The TRP's work great on my 105 specced winter bike, I changed from the 650's as I decided I wanted black!
  • chaymck
    Same here. Which 105?
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    chaymck wrote:
    Same here. Which 105?

5700, I've looked at the Shimano compatibility chart and it says that you can use the 650's with 5800, but "Braking power is slightly less than standard combination", I'm sure the TRP's would work absolutely fine too, they're just brakes pull the lever they brake!

http://productinfo.shimano.com/#/com/1. ... acid=C-456
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've got the Tiagra level BR 450s on my winter bike, operated by 4500 levers, and I thought they did a decent job until I fitted some 5800 calipers to the summer bike. Nearly went over the bars first time I used them!

So now I've bought some 5800 cartridges / holders to replace the 9 year old all-in-one moulded blocks on the BR540s to see if I can get closer to the braking performance of the 105 calipers
  • mikenetic
    mikenetic Posts: 486
    I have TRP 957 calipers in black on my winter bike, matched up with Ultegra 6800 levers. The brakes are excellent, even with the stock pads. Good feel, plenty of stopping power, and they are well made.

If you put a set of Swiss Stop pads in them they'd be even better.
  • chaymck
    I got a reply from manufacturer trp brakes are 2.5:1 pull ratio. And so designed to work with new shimano groupsets.

Not that I can find confirmation of the shimano ratio!