Where to clamp bike

mosa
mosa Posts: 754
edited June 2016 in Workshop
Where do you clamp your bike with maintenance stand. I used to use my seat post but my Madone has a different seat post so that can't be used any more. I assume I do this on my top tube? Do I do centre or next to seat tube. Just don't want to damage frame.
My bikes

2018 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro

Comments

• lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I have a Domane which can not be clamped on the seatpost. I hesitate to say I "clamp" it on the top tube. I just hang it by the top tube and lightly clamp it to make sure it will not fall off. Maybe if you were stupid enough it might be possible to damage to top tube with the clamp but I doubt it.
  • I wouldn't clamp any part of a bike other than the seat post - think about it, it's the only part (other than dropouts) that's been designed to be clamped! If you can't fit a cheap Al seatpost when clamping (sorry don't know your bike specifically) I would get a stand that holds by forks and BB.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Not familiar with the Trek but I'm guessing that it's the shape of the seat post that is stopping you from using it. If that is the case, I would also advise to be very careful how much pressure is put on the top tube and, as suggested by Les, find the balance point and very (very) lightly clamp down to stop it falling of - a quick wrap of non-slip matting (a couple of quid a sheet - just google it) might also be worth using. I once managed to put a very small dent in the top tube of my hybrid by being a bit over-enthusiastic with my workstand but learnt a valuable lesson and have used seat posts ever since. As I say, it is a very small dent and you have got to be looking for it to see it but I know it's there and it really pees me off every time I look. Luckily, the bike doesn't get used that often these days.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I clamp all my bikes - alu, steel, carbon - by the top tube, always have. Like lesfirth says though, 'clamp' to me means holding the bike securely to stop it rocking/moving while I am working on it, which generally requires very little actual clamp pressure.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    local bike workshop places a 6-8" length of pipe insulation around the toptube before clamping it there, with very very very minimal 'clamping force'. I keep meaning to obtain the same.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    My CR1-SL has a top tube I can visibly squash using just finger pressure, so I'm definitely never clamping it there. Fortunately it has a conventional round seatpost, so I can insert a spare and clamp that.

If it had an odd shaped carbon post, or an integrated seat mast type thing, I think I'd be looking for a workstand that supports the BB and clamps the fork dropouts.