Gilet recommendations

mrb123
mrb123 Posts: 4,789
edited June 2016 in Road buying advice
I'm on the look out for a new gilet, so any suggestions would be gratefully received.

I'm after something with a nice, slim fit. It needs to be packable in a jersey pocket - I mean something that actually goes in the pocket rather than sticking out halfway up my back when it's rolled up.

Fabric-wise, I'd like to avoid anything that feels too much like a bin bag. I don't need waterproof but some wind and water resistance would be good. I'm thinking stretchy and soft rather than crinkly and flappy.

I've been looking at the Castelli Fawesome and Sportful Fiandre Light No Rain Vest but there seem to be conflicting reports about their packability. The Isadore Medio Membrane looks good but the price seems a bit steep for what it is.

I'd be grateful for any comments about those or any other good suggestions.

Cheers!

Comments

• bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • paulc33
    paulc33 Posts: 254
    The morvelo gilets are very good and fit will into the pockets of a jersey.

They are also water resistant having been caught out a few times I've put them to the test and been kept adequately dry. The wind resistance is very good to.

Material wise it's stretchy and soft. The fit is very good no flapping around.

I have several gilets due to being some one that doesn't feel the cold and gets hot easily so I there for lay up with them but find the morvelo the best.

I have rapha ones , dhb ones as well as Madison. The rapha one is good but more crinkly material and no rear pockets. The dhb & Madison ones are thicker and more for winter layering and bit bulky when in the rear pocket.

Hope this helps.
    2015 Specialized S-Works Tarmac - Ultegra Di2 (7.0kg)
    Kinesis Aithein - Ultegra mechanical (7.3kg)
    Kinesis Maxlight Xc130 - xt/ xtr (11.3kg)

spin to win!
  • OnTheRopes
    OnTheRopes Posts: 460
    I have the castelli Sottile AW13 Gilet. Definitely fits into a pocket, in fact half a pocket. It fits well and is not crinkly or noisy. Not sure its very waterproof but thats not really the point. Works for me as something to pull on to keep warm.
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    I can vouch for these - light and pack down really well:
    http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Pearl- ... lsrc=aw.ds
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I like my Milltag offering but it's probably best paired with the matching Jersey which is uber fitted. It's handy with it's own pockets.

http://milltag.cc/shop/fac/fac-gilet?pa_gender=
  • mrb123
    Bender - interesting suggestion. They've got a few on that site that I hadn't seen before. Like the look of the Pedla Windcheater one although think I'd want the red colour which they don't seem to have in stock.

Paul - good call regarding the Morvelos. I think there's a 30% off code available at the moment so might be worth a try. Not keen on some of the colours but the light blue could work!
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Rapha pro team rain Gilet
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    I have the Rapha Gilet - they have a few different ones, but I just checked their website and this is the product name.

Fit is good, really blocks out chilly wind, has rear pockets plus a small one at the front that holds a credit card and door key. It rolls down well enough to sit almost entirely in the rear pocket of a jersey.

I only bought it because a couple of people gave me Rapha vouchers, but having had it for 2 months now I'm glad I chose it.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Check out the DHB gilets. I've just picked up a dhb Aeron Super Light Packable Windproof Gilet for under £25 and it's tiny.

Put it in your pocket and the pockets still pretty much empty.

If its just to put on if the weather turns - why would you have one with pockets etc ? What's going in there that you didn't have before ?
  • mrb123
    Update on this. Thanks for all the responses.

I've ordered the Morvelo in a medium and a large to try for size. Couldn't resist with the 30% off code.

I agree that the pockets are probably superfluous, but in all other respects the gilet looks good provided it packs down well enough and the colour looks good in the flesh.

I'll report back once they arrive.
  • winton
    winton Posts: 165
    These are outstanding gilets but at the pricey end of the scale. Shower proof and not boil in the bag, they can be easily worn up to 14°.

Super versatile and extremely comfortable.

http://www.7hundred.co.uk/41822/product ... tripe.aspx
  • mrb123
    Just to finish this one off...

I ordered the Morvelo Hemisphere gilet in light blue and the Sportful Fiandre Light vest in the orangey red and black.

Both are really classy bits of kit. In each case the fit is nice and snug (I got large in both, being 6'4", 32 inch waist, 39 inch chest).

The packed size of both is very similar, which is to say they will go in a decent sized jersey pocket but obviously don't pack down as small as something like a Sportful Hotpack. I see them both as gilets you might choose to wear for long periods of rides rather than just something you'd carry for emergencies, as they are comfortable, stretchy and soft.

I'm going to be keeping the Sportful over the Morvelo for the following reasons -

1) The Sportful is a slightly better fit on me - their gear always seems to suit my lanky body shape.
    2) The Morvelo has pockets, which I think are unnecessary on a gilet, the Sportful doesn't.
    3) The Sportful has wind/water resistant material on the back, which suggests it will offer a bit more protection than the Morvelo, which has a softshell type material on the front but just stretchy fabric on the back.
    4) Although I quite like the look of the Morvelo, the design is perhaps slightly more controversial than the Sportful, and I suspect the light blue will soon look scruffy if used for wet rides due to road spray.

Hope that helps anyone who is also looking at these. Thanks to everyone who responded to the thread.
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    The Sportful Fiandre Light vest/gilet sounds great; I can't work out why Wiggle don't sell it.
  • mrb123
    Mechanism wrote:
    The Sportful Fiandre Light vest/gilet sounds great; I can't work out why Wiggle don't sell it.

Yeah, strange.

Have a look at ProBikeKit. Currently 20% off Sportful :)
  • This one is the best a man can get :wink:

http://www.probikekit.co.uk/sports-clot ... 04697.html
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    That's ridiculously light!
  • cougie wrote:
    That's ridiculously light!

Folds up very small as well. Great bit of kit.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    The DHB is tiny and the Sporful is half the weight of it. I think I'd lose it in a pocket and only rediscover it years later....
  • shing83
    shing83 Posts: 61
    £80 and £95 for a gilet, even with 20% that's a lot of change for a gilet
  • zak3737
    zak3737 Posts: 370
    If the No Rain Gilet is half as good as my No Rain Light Jacket, you'll be well happy, superbly made and really effective. Love mine.
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    I've found my Endura PakaGilet to be really good. Tight cut fit, packs down small into its own little bag, and good material.
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • glynrs2
    glynrs2 Posts: 4,143
    Another vote for the Endura PakaGilet here.
  • mrb123
    Wore the Fiandre Light gilet all day on a 106 mile sportive on Saturday. Really pleased with it.

Temperature was 10 degrees at the start and for much of the morning we were riding into a cold Northerly wind. Never felt cold under the gilet. The fabric is lovely and soft and the cut is excellent, especially the high collar.

I was quite damp underneath at the end but by that time the sun had got out for the last 15 miles or so, so it was much warmer.