Cassette Question...

Crazyjenkins01
Crazyjenkins01 Posts: 409
edited June 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Would a 9 speed cassette being installed instead of the correct 8 speed, cause a rear derailleur to bend? Just noticed halfords installed the wrong one a few.months nack when i had it replaced and recently needed a new derailleur as the old one bent to hell!

Comments

• FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I would not have thought so but that should not stop you claiming the repair by attributing the damage. I imagine that they did not index the gears when fitting the cassette or they would have noticed and they would have noticed it bent when refitting the chain too; but for it to bend there would have to be some force on it - think back on your riding.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The two are completely unrelated. I'm surprised you didn't notice the gearing to be out of index though.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'd disagree, if the 9 speed had a 34t largest sprocket and the 8 was a normal 32t then the chain could have pulled the mech (upper jockey) into the cassette, while that normally jams everything up its not impossible it could bend the mech.

We bought a bike for my son with a 'shifting issue' that had a 9 on an 8 speed bike, would only engage a max of 5 gears anywhere near cleanly. Good deal though as we saved about £100 on the bike and it didn't cost anywhere near that to finish the conversion to 9 speed!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.